30- paintball

"Are you going to tell me why you are standing on my front porch or..." I cross my arms over my chest and stare at a smiling Charlie Barron.

He has been standing there with that dopey smile for five minutes amd it is starting to creep the hell out of me. I am very close to slamming the door in his face.

"Can I come in?" He asks then walks into my house.

"I hate it when people do that." I mutter.

"Do what? Come in then ask if they can come in? Yeah...those people are real jerks." He jokes and I glare at him.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"We are going paintballing today." He announces with that damn smile again.

"We?" I ask pointing between the two of us.

"Oh. No. We as in our friends and us." He explains.

Our friends?

"Haha no. I am not going paintballing." I say shaking my head.

"Yes you are, Taylor Croft. You already agreed to it." He says.

When the hell did I agree to this?

"You look confused." He pouts. "Let me help. A few weeks ago we were all sitting around a table at the slopes talking when your little brother mentioned something about a paintball area. We all said it would be fun to go. Then we made plans to go after the holidays. Guess what; it is after the holidays." He informs in a tone that makes me want to punch him in the face.

I rack my brain for back when this conversation took place. Charlie was correct, I faintly remember Carter talking about his favorite outdoor activity: paintball. This conversation came right after Carter opened his big fat mouth about Lacey and I taking our yearly break from one another. After that was said I pretty much zoned out every other thing they talked about.

"I hate to tell you this but Carter isn't here, so we can't go. What a bummer." I say sarcastically.

Turns out my thirteen year old, shy brother finally worked up the nerve to ask his crush Penny out on a date. From my understanding they were going to the movies then to Waffle Cones. I asked Carter what gave him the kick in the ass to ask Penny out and all I got in return was a smirk and a none of my beeswax. If he didn't have his first date ahead of him I would have beaten him up so bad for giving me such an attitude.

"Don't care. We are still going. Now come on." Charlie shrugs.

I all of the sudden feel very scared. Charlie meant friends. Does this mean that Nick will be attending this paintball match? I still haven't talked to or seen him since I cried a river in his bedroom. And like I told Catherine yesterday, I was still trying to find the right way and words to say to him. Nick deserved the best explanation and apology. I was nowhere near ready to face him.

"Taylor, what's wrong?" Charlie asks when he notices my facial expression.

"Um...Charlie, me going isn't such a good idea. I still haven't spoken to Nick since...well...you know." I trail off.

"No worries. Look I will say that Nick is going to be there, however, you don't have to talk to him. You can be on my team and we will put Nick on Logan's team." Charlie says. I know he is trying to make this whole thing easier but it feels like I am running away from my problems again. I already promised myself and the grief counselor that I wouldn't do that anymore.

"I'll go." I exhale.

Charlie smiles in victory, "Awesome. Oh and before I forget, you need to change into this. I will wait down here." He says handing me a black ahopping bag.