1-out of the shadows

"I cannot believe you broke up with him." My best friend Lacey scoffs and leans against her locker.

"Believe it, because I did." I say.

Lacey and I were standing in the hallway awaiting the bell to ring signalling us to get to our next class. The conversation of my most recent break up got brought up when my ex boyfriend appeared in the hall with his friends. Johnny Sanders was his name and popularity was his game. He was the type of guy you either loved, hated or worshiped. Guys wanted to be him or despised him, there was no in between. Girls wanted to date him, that was it, every girl in the school drooled over him. I mean I couldn't talk, five months ago I was in their position.

My and Johnny's relationship started out with some flirting and random conversations. Anything he said to you sounded like he meant it. He knew exactly what to say to have you eating out of the palm of his hand. I'm sure if he ever went into a bank, he could talk everyone in there into giving him all of the money. The cops would not be called. That's how smooth Johnny can be. We started out somewhere between friends and dating. Whatever it was, it caught the attention of our peers, who quickly became invested in the two of us. Like every other school, there was an "it couple" and everyone was determined and convinced that it was Johnny and I. A cheerleader and a football player, how cliche.

When we got pushed into dating -well I got pushed- Johnny was more than happy to claim me as his girlfriend. He was the type of guy to do everything and anything it took to stay the golden boy of the school. Dating that type of guy meant your entire relationship was in the public eye of the school. It actually felt like we were two celebrities, it was ridiculous. Kids who I didn't even know came up to me and wanted to be my friend, girls gave me the stink eye. I suddenly became an object for guys to leer at. Funny how everything changed once I started dating Johnny. I was popular before we started dating but after was a whole other level of popularity.

Now that I had ended our relationship, I was known as the girl who dumped the hottest guy in school. Two weeks ago I made the decision to end things with Johnny. He along with the entire school didn't take it well. They were shocked to say the least. If anything, they thought Johnny would have been the one to dump me not the other way around. Everyone wanted an explanation as to why I did it, but honestly, I wasn't even sure why. I had a few theories but nothing concrete. I just know that I didn't want to be "Johnny's girl" anymore. I just wanted to me.

I just wanted to be Taylor Croft.

"Johnny Sanders isn't a guy you just break up with." Lacey speaks after a few minutes.

"I am fully aware." I nod. "I didn't want to be with him any longer, so I ended it." I shrug a shoulder.

"Everyone and their mother wants to be with Johnny, Tay." Lacey rolls her green eyes. "Can't you get back together with him?" Lacey asks.

My head snaps towards her, "No I will not get back together with him." I say harshly.

"Fine. But if the whole school forms an angry mob and comes after you, I won't be able to protect you." Lacey warns.

"Oh well." I shrug it off.

The bell we have be waiting patently for makes its shrill sound throughout the halls, telling us that it is time to head to class.

"C'mon, we gotta get to History class." Lacey says and drags me along with her in the direction of the classroom.

Mr.Walls, our history teacher, speaks in monotone. He was currently talking about the assassination of Lincoln and has already lost a few students to the Sandman. I was quickly about to join them. His voice could put you to sleep faster than Ed Sheeran singing a lullaby. I would seriously give my kidney up to have Ed Sheeran come into my room and sing me to sleep, how awesome would that be?