Chapter 53 (T.E)

The return of Yuki had visibly eased the burden on Shureii's back. Even if he had been gone for only a day, the dream and the encounter had stressed her more than she had been aware of.

Even though the uncertainty of her fate hung over her, Shureii realized how she was being foolish. There was nothing she could do about it. Why bother worrying over something she had no control over? If the time came when her fate entangled her, so be it. Until then she would not let it impede in her life.

Seeing Yuki's ever present bright attitude and eagerness upon coming back had reminded her that the future was just that. The future. It was unpredictable and uncontrollable. Meanwhile she was in the present where Yuki was. If she wasted even her present time worrying about things she still didn't understand, wasn't she simply creating more regrets?

Snapping out of her clouded fears and anxiety, Shureii had decided she would face on future worries when they came and in the meantime enjoy the time she had with Yuki. Thus she kept her concerns tucked in the deeper ends of her consciousness, but otherwise returned to her former self.

In the ensuing days, Shureii was even more affectionate towards the oblivious Yuki who accepted his mother's doting with great relish. Not even having to fend off the constant onslaught from her admirers was enough to annoy him to the point of losing the constantly happy expression he had on.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
*Knock knock*

The mother-son duo looked up from their respective positions at the sound.

"I'll go get it." Yuki said, motioning for Shureii to just continue what she was doing, which was cutting up some mushrooms.

She heard him open the door and was about to chop the remaining ingredients when she noticed something odd. Years of raising Yuki had enabled her to notice the slightest changes. In this particular situation, his relaxed stance had become defensive.

Who is at the door?

She couldn't see because of the way Yuki was standing, but it wasn't long before she received her answer.

"Is Healer Shureii here?"

Even though she had never heard his voice before, she knew. He was the injured man she had healed. Seeing Yuki's questioning eyes, she nodded. He moved slightly to the side, letting her see the people at her doorstep.

Sure enough, it was the two men from the other day.

"I am Shureii." She said while assessing them.

The cloaked one was ever inexpressive. However the same could not be said about the other man. He had lost his sickly paleness and looked much healthier than before. In fact, in Shureii's experienced eyes, she realized he had healed exceptionally well...and fast.

As I thought, he is not from any ordinary background. Such speedy recovery can only be possible with a strong body that has been honed for many years under severe training. As far as I know, the only ones that could receive such training apart from warrior clans...

She became cautious as she realized her gut feeling about them were not wrong.

...would be people with access to the imperial training system.

Her quiet analysis of them had occurred as she exchanged common pleasantries with them before inviting them into her house when she realized whatever they had come for would take longer than would be appropriate to keep them standing outside, especially when one was not fully recovered.

"Please come in. Your wounds have not completely healed."

The cloaked man seemed to hesitate briefly, but seeing the straightforward way his companion thanked her before taking up her invitation, he didn't argue and entered as well.