Chapter 8

Putting on a polite smile, Shureii responded to the prince with a curtsy.

"There is no need to apologize, Prince Albrecht. Nothing really happened."

Although...that fact might have changed had he not come.

She heard Albrecht give her permission to rise. As she did so, she couldn't help but wonder about one thing.

What exactly was the King trying to do?

Feeling the prince's gaze on her, she looked up and saw him wearing a rather contemplative look on his face.

"You are different from what I thought." He muttered under his breath.

Did he say something? 

Blinking, Shureii looked at him in confusion. "I beg your pardon?"

Letting out a dazzling smile, the prince said it was nothing.

"I apologize for the confusion. Although the invitation was sent in my brother's name, you were supposed to meet with me first."

Then gesturing with his arm, he added, "Please follow me."

"Of course, Prince Albrecht."

As she followed him out the door, she was met with the familiar face of the First Knight.

So that's where he was! Wait...when did he leave?

"Prince Albrecht." He greeted with a bow. Then, turning to face Shureii, his expression twisted into something akin to guilt before he abruptly bowed 90 degrees.

"Forgive me for leaving you in an uncomfortable situation. That was something unforgivable to do as a Knight. I sincerely apologize. If there is anything I could do to compensate, please tell me."

Suddenly the atmosphere seemed heavier. Even the prince was silent.

I...don't understand! Why is he acting like he committed some horrible crime? Why is the prince being silent? What to say...what to say...!

Desperate to soothe the upset First Knight, who was still bowing low enough for her to see the back of his head, Shureii was quick to respond.

"Lord Eduardo, there is nothing to forgive! It really wasn't your fault! So please, raise your head!"

"Lady Shureii..." The First Knight looked up and due to his lowered height, she could clearly see a somewhat dazed and grateful expression.

The question is...why?

Before fully rising, he took her hand and kissed it.

"Thank you."

Eh? A ki--

Before she could fully process what happened, she was interrupted from her thoughts by the prince's voice.

"Eduardo, your next task is to escort Lady Shureii to the room."

"Yes, my Prince." The First Knight responded, straightening up. Nodding, the prince then turned to look at Shureii.

"Now then, Lady Shureii...for now goodbye. I shall see you soon." The prince said with another dazzling smile. Then he was gone.