Chapter 79 (H.E.)

Beautiful music played as equally beautiful people swayed and danced across the grandiose ballroom. Needless to say Princess Claire in all her extravagant beauty was the center of all attention and admiration.

She wore a shimmery, sparkling ballgown that accented her blond hair and baby-blue eyes. Her cherry lips were constantly smiling as she was given attention from the most influential and handsome men in the kingdom.

Yes...this is what I want. This is what I was born for. To be adored, loved, and admired. Ah~and to think this will not be the best part...I am absolutely elated~
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Away from the grand ball, Shureii was focusing on measuring out precise quantities of liquids used for potions.

Both Raphael and Guren were at the ball. Raphael because of his rank and Guren because of his skills, which had spread to other kingdoms. Of course, Shureii knew that the primary reason was their looks.

Sighing, she leaned back on her chair.

I'm so tired...

Getting up, she locked the laboratory door before heading to her room. As she walked down the hall, she heard the distant sound of string instruments making melodious sounds. Taking a deep breath of the night air, she closed her eyes.

How nice...it truly is relaxing...

Hearing the sound of someone approaching, she opened her eyes again. In the shadows of the hallway, she could make out the figure of a maid. Before she could do anything, she felt something hit her hard from behind. Falling to the ground, her vision went dark.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
The sounds of screaming and angry cries woke her up. Blinking groggily, Shureii tried to make sense of what was going on. In front of her were the horrified and disgusted looks of the nobles and royals.

What...what is going--

She felt pain in her arms. Shifting her head slightly, she saw two hard-faced guards glaring at her as their unforgiving iron holds tightened on her.

"Don't move."

"You are under arrest for attempted murder of the princess."

"Prin...cess...?"

It was then she noticed the reason behind the whole treatment. A little distance from her lay the princess with several slashes in her dress and some bloodstains. Looking down at herself, Shureii noticed in front of her was a small dagger covered in blood. Blood also stained the front of her dress and her hands.

"Despicable."

The cold voice of Risteard pierced directly into Shureii's--no--the villainess' heart. His furious red eyes glared down at her. She knew without doubt that he wished to kill her. She felt the villainess' heart crack.

"I would have you executed had it not been for the princess' benevolent request to question you before the trial."

Vincent added, his icy eyes cutting deeper into the sensitive villainess' heart.

Shureii, driven unconsciously by the villainess' vulnerable heart, found her mouth moving out of its own volition.

"I didn't do it."

Something snapped in the King as Vincent raised his voice for the first time she ever heard him.

"You have the audacity to lie?!"

Shureii had an extremely hard time keeping her face calm as the villainess' heart all but shattered.

The villainess at this time is still but a teenager around the age of 16....it is no surprise her heart is hurting so much. From the looks of it, she loved Vincent the most...*[the villainess' age is based on the game not Shureii's time spent on the earth]

Taking small breaths, she tried to soothe her aching heart, knowing it would do no good to breakdown here.

"My King! We have found this headdress in the possession of Miss Emma! It bears an unquestionable mark of royalty! She must be the one that Princess Claire had been warning my lords about!" A maid cried, kneeling in front the infuriated king.

That maid...

Shureii recognized her as the one she saw just before she lost consciousness.

And that headdress...it is the one that Prince Albrecht gave to me as a token of his friendship. It was custom made and thus doesn't have a distinctive royal mark...

A bitter smile touched her lips.

You are clever, princess. I can see why no one has caught onto you so far...

"Take her away."

From the corner of her eye, she saw that Prince Albrecht had recognized the headdress. Catching his eyes, she gave him a small, but discernible shake of her head, reminding him of her letter. Everything would be for nothing if they revealed their relationship.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Watching Shureii get escorted out of the room, Albrecht's face betrayed none of the anger and hatred he felt. However, his hands were clenched into tight fists that drew blood.

Shureii...
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Beside him, Eduardo noted the hidden feelings of the prince and was thrust into confusion and uncertainty.

Why does the prince still care for that girl when she had just tried to kill the princess?
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Louis was shocked at the unexpected turn of events. However, more than that, he was surprised at the way his heart clenched upon seeing the brief expression of shock and hurt that had come over her face at the King's outburst. He found himself unable to look at her as she passed by.

Why? Why am I feeling this way?
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Next to the Princess' side, Raphael had spared a moment to look up at the girl's expression. The confusion and pain in her eyes before she quickly schooled her expression to its normal calm had not been missed by him.

What is going on? Emma...what is your real purpose? Who are you really? Why would you do such a foolish thing?