Chapter 42

When Shureii woke up, she was not bleary at all. The moment her eyes opened, the stinging pain on the lower part of her neck reminded her exactly what had transpired in the courtroom.

Her first course of action was to try and escape. However, just as she had expected every possible escape route was blocked. Knowing that it would be worse to waste her energy, Shureii decided to sit on the bed she woke up on and contemplate on something that was worrying her.

He bit me...

She thought, tenderly feeling the bandaged bite.

I unmistakably felt fangs...does that mean he is a vampire? But I didn't see anything like that among the servants or him up until then...is it a controllable thing?

Her eyes narrowed.

Also...that petrifying feeling that took over me...what was it? I had felt it before, but still had some doubts. This time, I know for sure it is not something normal...what is it? Moreover...what is his purpose?

From the looks of it, I don't think they would hurt Yuki...My concern is why he would do such a thing...he didn't seem to be cruel and he is a good, hardworking king for his people..yet..

The throbbing in her neck reminded her of how he had been.

He had been frightening...so dark...almost...almost like he was a different person...
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Unlike the last time she had woken up from her unconsciousness, she was not kept away from Yuki.

He had been told that she had to move rooms due to certain "renovations" taking place and that she was currently resting after working too long. Hearing this, Yuki didn't find anything too suspicious and assumed she was busy the whole day as usual. So when he went to greet her in the new room, he was all smiles and laughter.

"Mama!" He cried throwing himself onto her.

Wincing at the pain his jostling brought her from her fresh bite mark, (which was concealed with a shawl) Shureii was quick to smoothen her expression as she hugged him back.

"Mama, guess what? Eugene said that I could have a sleepover with him! Can I?"

So that is their plan. Shureii realized that whatever it was they were hiding from her, they also wanted to keep Yuki out of it. While being slightly upset by this turn of events, she knew that placing Yuki near Eugene may actually be the safest place for him.

"Yes, Yuki. And it is May, not Can."

"Ok Mama!" With that he scurried off to tell Eugene the good news.

Shureii's smile faded away as she uncurled her hand to reveal the message she had received shortly before Yuki was permitted inside.

Your son will not be harmed. Act normally. Everything will be explained tonight.

Although not usually one to take orders, Shureii knew that Yuki was in no immediate danger and didn't want to cause him unnecessary worry. Also...

Her hand clenched around the message.

It's about time I hear what exactly is going on.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
She knew the exact moment he stepped into the room. The atmosphere changed as she felt the chilling presence from before, but this time she did not raise her eyes to look at him.

"Lady Shureii."

Even when she heard his voice, she did not look up. She heard him draw closer.

"Shureii."