Takao's POV (Part 1)

Welcoming the darkness, I faded into my subconsciousness, hoping to get a little more than a few minutes of rest from the excruciating pain those humans put me through.

When I opened my eyes again, I let out a sigh. For the first time in such a long time, I was finally able to enter one of my sub-worlds. Breathing in the familiar scent of the fresh, untainted greenery, I let myself relax, falling back on the grass and closing my eyes.

It had been over a year (in human years) since I had been forcibly dragged into the human world via one of my subconsciousness. Ever since that fateful day, I had been under countless of what those white-coated humans called "procedures" and "experiments."

Needless to say, I had been constantly trying to return to my home, but had only succeeded very rarely and when I did, it was never more than a few minutes (human time). I learned the best chance I had at escaping was by replenishing my health in the few seconds I had to myself.

And so I waited for the painful jerk that would force me out of this world. When I didn't feel it in the expected time, I opened my eyes.

I blinked.

A little girl--human from her lack of aura--stood looking over at my lying form.

"Who are you?"

"Takao." I answered without thinking, then mentally slapped myself.

Great. How could I tell a little girl--a human--what I have been trying to keep a secret all this time?!

"Uwah! I wanted to meet someone named Takao!" The girl said happily, clapping her hands.

Still in confusion, I scrutinized the girl before me.

At least she doesn't seem to be like the other humans...she seems like any other child...except... how did a human enter this world in the first place?

I was broken out of my thoughts when she leaned in closer.

"I am Shureii! Are you my neighbor?"

She seems clueless about the fact that she is not in her true world...

"Uh...kind of."

"Really?! Can I go over to your house?!"

Blinking in confusion, I didn't register my mouth moving automatically, until heard myself speak.

"Yes."

Before I could berate myself for speaking without thinking, I saw the girl sway. Instinctively, I got up, catching her before she fell.

"I'm so sleepy." She murmured.

Moments later, she disappeared.

What just happened?

I stared at the empty space in my arms.

Was she the reason I could stay longer in my sub-world?

Before I could ponder any longer, I felt the unwanted, familiar pain that jerked me awake for another day of suffering.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
I saw her again. That peculiar little human girl with curious eyes.

Rubbing her eyes, she sat up. Blinking blearily, she looked around before catching sight of me. A bright smile lit her face. Then, to my surprise, she ran towards me.

"Takao!" She cried happily, burying her face into my stomach.

Unused to such enthusiasm, it took a while for me to think of what to do. Deciding to go with what felt right, I reached and touched her head. It must have been the right thing to do. She beamed and pressed up to my hand.

"Pft."

She looks so much like a cat purring from getting rubbed on its ears...

She looked up at me curiously, tilting her head to the side in what I decided was an adorable manner. Not wanting to hurt her feelings, I smiled and stifled my laughter.

"Hello, Shureii."

Seemingly satisfied with my greeting, she forgot about my laugh and tugged on my shirt.

"Takao! Takao! Can we go to your house today?"

Ah, that's right. I had promised to take her when we met again...but I had not actually expected to meet her again...

Looking down at her expectant gaze, I felt my heart soften.

I did promise after all...

Hand in hand, I began walking her to my cottage in the Enchanted Forest.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
She was indeed a curious little one. Every time we came across something she didn't know about--which was a lot considering she wasn't from my world--she would always ask about it. However she was by no means ignorant.

Even though she was merely 5, her knowledge of the plants in her world was rather extensive. Her inquisitive nature and incredibly good memory kept me constantly having to recall my long buried memories of herbology just to answer her questions. On the other hand, I got to learn about the plants in her world.

I found myself enjoying my time with her. She was a rather amusing  human being. Mature in regards to her questions and knowledge, yet just as easily delighted as any child. Her reactions were so varied and so visible on her face. She really was amusing.

Morning came too fast. The time I spent with her had given me moments of reprieve from the reality I did not wish to meet.

Yawning, Shureii rubbed her eyes.

"Takao...I'm so tired."

Forcing a smile that belied the reluctance within me, I picked her up.

"Then sleep. I will see you tomorrow."

"Mm. Good night, Takao."

In moments she was asleep in my arms. I looked down at her sleeping form, knowing it will only be moments before she disappeared from this world into the reality she lived.

Actually it is "good morning," Shureii...

I watched as she snuggled closer, only to vanish in the soft light that I was all together too familiar with. Moments later a sharp pain registered in my head.

Falling to the ground, I clutched at my head.

They've started again. Those humans who captured me...