Chapter 82 (H.E.)

It took a while for Shureii to finish her explanation (the altered version she had given Albrecht where she omitted the part that this alternate world was very much like an otome game). However Raphael and Vincent got the gist of the main points.

That explains the oddness I felt about her...she is not fully of this world...What she says here corresponds to what she had told me about concealing her appearance, further supporting her words... However something else is bothering me...
something she didn't explain...

"Say that all that you have said is true. Tell me, how is this connected to Princess Claire? How would you explain your death from just moments ago?"

Hearing Raphael's words, Shureii braced herself for the inevitable.

"Princess Claire is not who you think she is. Even if you don't believe my words about knowing you and the others beforehand, there is a fact that doesn't change."

She took a deep breath.

"She is a murderer."

A sudden gust of wind was felt in the air as the sound of Albrecht's chamber doors slamming open echoed throughout the room.

"You would dare--! You would dare to slander the name of someone who pleaded for you to not be executed without a trial after trying to murder her?!"

Shureii found herself staring into the furious golden eyes of the Avaemaborg King. Feeling the pressure on her neck tighten, she let out an involuntary gasp.

"Risteard!"

Having recovered from the unexpected burst of wind, Vincent had opened his eyes and saw the girl being held by the neck by the other King.

Had I not heard her words and seen her transformation myself, I too would most likely be just as furious as him about hearing such words about Claire. However...

Raphael's carefully observant eyes and Albrecht's deep affection for the girl had made his confidence waver.

If what she says is true...

"Let her go."

"What?"

Risteard's voice was not raised, but his eyes portrayed his anger.

"You would protect a girl that tried to hurt Claire?!"

His anger made him unconsciously tighten his hand so that he was fully cutting off Shureii's air supply. She clenched her eyes shut as she struggled to breathe. From the corner of her eye, she noticed Albrecht rising to his feet, ready to tackle on the foreign King despite his brother's warning.

Risteard...!

Suddenly the hold on her neck slackened, causing her to fall onto the bed. Gasping, she took in the much-needed oxygen.

What...

Just as she was about to look up at the Vaeer King, she felt her chin being lifted up with one hand as the other touched her neck gently...almost lovingly?

She was not the only one surprised by this unexpected shown of tenderness from the rough King. Raphael's professional look dropped into something of a frown. Vincent's eyes were widened in surprise.

Only Albrecht acted like his normal overprotective self (if that could be considered normal). He walked right up to where she was and swiftly pulled her to himself. What neither of them expected was for a growl to escape the Avaemaborg King as he immediately reacted, holding onto her arm before she was fully pulled away.

Albrecht's eyes narrowed.

"King Risteard, what are you doing?"

"That's what I should be asking. She is mine."

Although taken by surprise, Albrecht remained steadfast.

"You were about to strangle her just a moment ago."

At this, the dangerous aura surrounding Risteard disappeared as his eyes changed back to their normal red color.

"That's right...I was about to..."

His eyes moved from Albrecht's to Shureii's. In his fit of protective rage, he had not noticed the change in the girl's features. Now that he did, he found himself staring at her. Something was nagging him.

Those eyes...where have I seen them before? And that mark...

He looked down at his hand. He had felt a warmth in his hand when he had been choking the girl. That warmth was one he could feel only from those that were family...or were bitten by him. When he had dropped her out of surprise, he had briefly seen his mark on her before it disappeared.

"Who...who are you?"

Vincent had never heard the belligerent king sound so lost and uncertain. His eyes looked so confused as he stared at the petite form in Albrecht's arms. Hesitantly, he took a step forward, then another. All the time, Albrecht watched him warily.

Shureii had regained her breath and found the strength to look up. The Avaemaborg King was an arm's length away from her. He looked down at her, his eyes portraying the tumultuous feelings inside him.

"Please."

Please?!

Shureii was not the only one surprised by the king's uncharacteristic politeness as she felt Albrecht's hold on her slacken slightly in surprise.

"Please, may I test something?"

Albrecht tightened his hold again, but Shureii placed a hand one of his arms, shaking her head. Pulling out of his hold, she nodded.

Slowly, almost cautiously, Risteard reached out, placing a hand on her neck, but this time he did it so gently that the bruises that had formed from his earlier actions didn't even hurt.

Almost immediately, he felt the warmth from before. Before his very eyes, the mark he made on her appeared, for all of them to see. It was not the permanent mark of mates, but it was unmistakably his.

Shureii's eyes widened as she suddenly felt herself wrapped in the tight embrace of Risteard.

"Y-Your Majesty?!"

He held her closer, breathing in her scent.

"How could I have forgotten?"

Her eyes widened.

"Shureii...my beloved Shureii..."