Chapter 64 (H.E.)

Shureii carried on with her life at the palace, occasionally getting messages from Albrecht and Yuki about how their side of information gathering was going on. Each new piece of information added to Shureii's worries, but it seemed as though the Princess was getting better either in reigning in her jealousy or covering it up well.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Plopping down on a bench for a rare moment of rest, Shureii lifted her hand up to the sky, watching as the sunlight went through the spaces between her fingers.

Seems like I won't have to become the villainess quite yet...

She smiled.

Not to mention, I have successfully avoided directly meeting the main characters of this game/world. Altogether life is good~

Her smile grew wider as she childishly added to her thoughts.

Today is even better because there will be lots of vanilla leftovers from the party being held today. Ah~it's been so long since I had vanilla~mm...?

Confused, Shureii looked down at the handkerchief that had fallen on her face. Beautifully embroidered on it were the fancy letters, L and A. Her mind just registered what those letters most likely meant when she heard the sound of thundering footsteps.

Eh...?

Her face froze as she saw the horde of beas--ladies, running towards her.

"Lord Louis' handkerchief is mine!"

"No! It's mine!"

"No! I want to have it!!!"

"Hah! You? Do you think he would want to ever spend a day with you?"

"Don't be ridiculous, the one who is best suited to Lord Louis is me!"

"Hah! Don't make me laugh!"

Blinking, Shureii looked at the handkerchief that was staring up at her innocently.

I have a bad feeling about this...better move away before I get noticed...

Thus she tacitly left the scene of cri--beautiful ladies conversing politely, but not before she threw the handkerchief as far away from her as possible.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Little did she know that she was being watched from above by a certain emerald-eyed lord.

Oh? She rejected my handkerchief?

A rare genuine smile graced his lips as he watched her flee.

Ah...seems like fate is not with you.

He saw how the handkerchief she threw away got caught by the wind and entered the basket she was holding.

Hmm...you already amuse me...perhaps today will not be boring.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Shureii let out the breath she wasn't aware of holding in.

I think I came far enough. Fangirls in any dimension are scary and must be avoided at all costs.

Leaning on a pillar to catch her breath, she checked that the scrolls in her basket were all there, but to her dismay there was a white something she didn't want to see.

Oh no...

With dread, she picked up the corner of what she hoped was not what she thought it was. Unfortunately it was. The clear whiteness and golden threads that graced the elegant letters of L and A looked up at her.

Fighting back her groan, Shureii glared at the handkerchief. She didn't have enough time to go back to the gardens where ladies were, nor did she want to. She had to quickly get rid of the handkerchief before anyone saw her with it.

Sorry handkerchief, I know you are innocent, but I must not ever be brought to the notice of--

"Ah, young miss, may I see what it is that you are holding?"

She froze.

That voice...

Her--no--the villainess' heart skipped a beat.

Kuso...

Fighting with the complicated emotions the villainess was giving her, Shureii forced her body to turn and curtsy.

"Of course, my lord." She said, calmly as she handed the handkerchief over without looking at him.

Their hands brushed. Shureii fought the villainess' urge to grab hold of his hand.

"Ah, as I thought. This is my handkerchief."

"I am glad you found your handkerchief, my lord."

Now please leave...!

But as usual, fate was not kind to her. Instead of leaving, he approached her.

"Do you know the meaning of finding my handkerchief?"

Shureii stubbornly kept her eyes lowered.

"No, my lord."

"Oh? Then that is good. I had thought you knew that whoever finds my handkerchief can spend the day with me. It is good you didn't know because I would hate to be disliked by someone as beautiful as you. I had assumed you threw away the handkerchief because you disliked the idea of spending the day with me."

Hearing his words, Shureii's heart sank. When did the pure Louis become such a playboy? That innocent and kind boy? Going through women whimsically based on a handkerchief? Did her presence alter the game so much that it decided to take revenge by ruining the lives of others?

The feelings of an older sister towards him filled her with so much guilt, especially when she heard the emptiness in his voice as he continued to talk to her. To others it was not obvious, but she knew he was dissatisfied with life. His tone was the same as the one he had when he told her stories of his childhood.

I'm sorry Louis...if I didn't exist you would have been properly comforted by the heroine and not have to go through the pain of not being exclusively loved back by the heroine...you wouldn't be feeling so empty...

"Say, are you frightened of me? Is that why you won't look up at me? Don't worry, I won't hurt you."

Coming out of her thoughts, Shureii barely registered his words before she felt her chin being tilted to look at him.

No...!

She quickly jerked her head away.

"Please excuse me."

With that she gave one last curtsy before leaving.

Louis had been expecting a happy or disbelieving expression, maybe even a shy, embarrassed one. However the expression that met his eyes was completely different from what he had been expecting. There was surprise, but more than that, there was sadness...and regret?

That girl...

He looked down at the handkerchief in his hand with a conflicted expression.

Who is she?