06.

Chapter Six.

"It's funny cause' you vowed to neva' turn out like me, correct? But thas' the exact path you're headed towards." —Motrise Cole.

January 28th, 2018

"Cici!" A four year old Bain Vasquez exclaimed as he watched Citrus's all white Nissan Hybrid, with tan interior pull up in front of his house.

He waited as the car came to a full stop, before Citrus's door opened.

"Don't you dare run ta' dat damn door Bain!" Modi called after him.

Bain ignored his mother and ran out of the screen door, anyways. A smile on his face with his arms spread wide open. And as soon as Citrus's feet hit the ground, he clashed right into her legs.

"Didn't mama tell you to wait?" Citrus bent down to his level. A stern expression plastered on her face.

Bain frowned, this was not the reaction he was expecting from his older sister, "I missed you."

"I missed you too but you needa' listen," Citrus kissed his forehead, "You don't even have shoes on,"She pulled him into her arms and stood to her feet,"You getting heavy Bainey Boop," She walked towards the house as he wiggled in her arms.

As soon as she reached the front door, she placed him on his feet and he went to dash for it just for Modi to appear in front of him and pop him on his legs. Bain cried out in agony. Citrus rolled her eyes because Modi didn't even hit hard, he was just hypersensitive.

"Didn't I tell you not to go out there?" She looked down on him.

Bain grew louder and reached his arms out for her but all Modi did was shake her head. "Bain you need to stop and start listening ta' me," Her face remained still, "I'm serious."

"We have to go Modi," Citrus cleared her throat. She was growing annoyed, "Why are you always hitting him? You needa' stop."

Modi was never the reprimanding parent, but she thought that when she got pregnant with Bain she could change and alter her parenting skills because she didn't want him to end up like Briana, Braelin, or even Citrus. Though, whenever she did it in front of the girls they would judge her and come to the defense of Bain because that's not what they were used to and that wasn't the Modi they'd known or were ever raised by.

"Don't question my parenting in front of em' Cici," Modi crossed her arms and cocked her head to the side.

"Whatever," Citrus sucked her teeth, "Bainey go put your shoes on so we could meet Nahiem."

Every other weekend, Citrus or Braelin would pickup Bain and keep him overnight. It was a way for them to spend time with their younger sibling being that he was the only kid left in the Vasquez household. The girls were all grown up and living on their own so they rarely got to see him, but when they did they always reminded him how much they loved and cared for him, and that regardless if they were around a lot or not he was still their brother. Bain was only four but he did get lonely at times. Besides his friends from daycare and Modi, he had no one around on the daily. So it was refreshing when one of his sisters came to the rescue.

Bain sucked up his tears and pouted before running off to his bedroom, to put on his shoes and grab his overnight bag. He was very smart and independent for his age.