Chapter 39: Djed

"Since when does a son of the Pharaoh take orders from a Priest," Djed said, still searching the shadows for the source of the voice.

"Not orders, My Prince," Setka replied, "merely a request."

"A strange request that includes burning my boat and killing my men," Djed said.

"It was...unavoidable," came the reply.

Just then Djed felt a tug at his sleeve. Turning he saw the anguished face of Seb, tears starting in his eyes.

"My Mistress has...gone," he whispered quietly. "I thought she was behind me, but when I turned, she had disappeared."

Djed whirled round. It was as the boy said: Ashayt was nowhere to be seen.

At the same moment, Sethos and Kames turned and saw that she was missing. Horrified, they turned to Djed.

"She must have run off. We will follow," hissed Kames, turning to go.

Djed grabbed his arm, holding him back. He thought fast.

"No. Listen to me, both of you, if you value her life," the Prince said. "Those Priests think she is still here with us. The longer we can convince them of that, the more time she has to get away. The Lady is no fool: she knows that this is her best chance - and ours. Pray to the Gods she can find somewhere safe to hide."

Even as he spoke the words, Djed was in torment. All his instincts were to run after her. But that might do no more than alert the priests and lead them to her. Nevertheless, it had been his duty to protect her and he had failed. If he had to die fighting to convince their attackers that Ashayt was still with them, then he would do so.

He tightened his grip on Kames' arm, staring hard both at him and Sethos.

"You know this is right: we must honour Ashayt's decision and buy her the time she needs."

For a moment it seemed that he had failed to convince them. Then both priests exchanged looks and, after a brief pause, they nodded. But their faces showed their anguish at the decision.

Djed glanced up at the sky visible between the tops of the columns. It was now long past mid-day. Could he hold them off until nightfall? He turned back to face the shadows that hid their attackers.

"You, Setka!" he called. "You say I am to hand the Lady over to you, yet you give me no good reason. You say she has committed crimes against your God, yet you tell me nothing about the nature of these crimes. I will need more than that if I am to do as you ask."

There was silence from the shadows for a few moments, then the voice came again:

"She is a murderer, My Prince. She killed one of Our Great God's soldiers in cold blood."

There were sounds of surprise from Djed's circle of men.

Djed threw back his head and laughed.

"You would have me believe that this...girl...attacked one of the soldiers of the Great God Anubis. What did she use...a hairpin?"

"This is not a laughing matter, My Prince. The girl is more than she seems," came the voice. "Now I ask that you and your men lay down your arms and release the girl to us. None of you will be harmed."

Heri moved over next to Djed and spoke quietly:

"My Prince, I propose we attack. There may be more of them, but the columns are packed so close it makes a difficult place to fight in. That reduces their advantage. If we break out on two sides, we might be able to fight our way past them," he paused briefly to see the effect of the words on Djed, "and with the Lady gone this will delay any pursuit still more."

Djed remained silent for a moment.

"I agree," he replied "if we break out, we should head for the river. The Lotus may be gone, but we might be able to take one of their boats."

Heri quickly whispered their decision to the others. It was decided that one group would be led by Djed with Sethos, Kames and Seb, the other by Heri with the three remaining crewmen.

Djed called back into the shadows.

"If I hand the Lady over to you, what guarantee do I have that she will be treated fairly?"

"I regret My Prince, that you are in no position to demand any guarantees."

Djed took a deep breath then nodded to Heri and his three crewmen. They slipped into the shadows on the other side of the altar and were lost from sight.

He turned to Sethos, Kames and Seb.

"Follow me," he said, leading off in the opposite direction.