Chapter 33: Blue or Pink?

"Blue sash or pink sash?" Ashayt asked.

She was standing in her room, turning the small copper hand-mirror this way and that in an unsuccessful attempt to see how the new dress looked.

So the mirror she was relying on most was Seb.

"Blue, My Lady," said Seb for the third time, "It is a brighter colour for the day."

"You are sure?"

"I am certain, My Lady," he said, stifling a yawn. It was still early.

Of the dresses she had ordered, she had chosen the simplest: white linen, with short pleated sleeves down to the elbow, gathered below the breast, then falling in two wing-shaped halves to mid-calf. The sash held the dress together and added colour, falling in two broad strips to just below the knee. It was a common enough style for the day, but the skill of the dressmaker, perfectly matching Ashayt's shape, elevated it to something much more.

Ashayt had been surprised - and thrilled - when Reseph had approached her at supper the evening before and given his permission for her to join the Prince on his boat. She couldn't help wondering if the Lady Itet's patronage of the Temple had something to do with his decision. But he had insisted that Sethos and Kames should accompany her and told her that he had also asked the Prince to bring guards of his own. Seb would go as her servant.

Now it was nearly time for her to to leave: the Prince had told Reseph that he would arrive early to escort Ashayt to the boat.

But there was till one decision to be taken.

Packed with the dress, she had discovered a small box of cosmetics. A gift from the dressmaker she assumed, or had it been added by Prince Djedefre?

She toyed with the small palettes of colour. In the Overworld, no lady would go into society without eye make-up, beauty being considered a form of worship in itself. But was it the same here? She held up the box and looked questioningly at Seb.

He nodded emphatically.

"For certain, My Lady," he said, quickly adding, "not that My Lady's beauty is in need of any enhancement."

"You are quite the courtier, Sebek," Ashayt replied.

After a moment's hesitation, she chose red and gold: eye-colours of the Sword Maiden.

Nobody will know its significance here, she thought,  and I barely had time to wear it before my exile. She blushed her lids lightly with gold, then used the red as an outliner, extending it back from the corners of her eyes.

She only had time for a quick look in the mirror when there was a scratch at the door. She nodded to Seb to open it. It was Kames.

If she had had any doubts about her appearance, they were swept away by the young priest's reaction.

His eyes widened, his mouth fell open and for a moment he just stared in silence. Then the widest, sweetest smile spread across his face. Remembering his duty, he bowed more deeply than she had seen him do before.

"Your escort is ready, My Lady."

When she stepped outside, the reaction from Sethos was even less restrained. His eyes stood out from their sockets and he almost dropped his spear.

"Great Goddess preserve me!" he gasped, beaming all over his round face and unashamedly looking her up and down. Then he, too, collected himself and bowed. When he finally fell into place behind her, his face was a picture of pride.

There were not many people about, but Ashayt was aware of heads turning and lingering looks as they made their way towards the gate. The only item she had rejected from her wardrobe were the new sandals: they were delightful, but far too flimsy for a day on a boat. So she wore her usual sandals and was already grateful she had chosen them.

She saw the Prince before he saw her. He was standing just outside the gates, facing away from the Temple, with another man standing next to him.

"Welcome-to-The-Light, My Prince," she said, coming up behind.

He turned and a look of astonishment swept over his face. To Ashayt, it seemed as if - just for a moment - he had failed to recognise her.

The man standing next to him stared at Ashayt in open admiration, then both men remembered themselves and bowed deeply.

"Good morning, My Lady," the Prince said, "This is Heri, my right arm."

The man bowed again. Both he and the Prince wore the usual pleated kilts, with loose shirts of white linen and, on top of these, jerkins of soft leather. Khopesh swords hung from their belts.

"The rest of the crew are at the boat," the Prince said. "Will you mind the walk to the river? The boat has no room for horses."

"I should be glad to walk, My Prince."

©Adriana Nicolas 2016