Chapter 13: Exile

"I am to be banished?" cried Ashayt, tears welling in her eyes.

For the second time in two days she stood before the Goddess, but this time she was wearing the red tunic of a Sword Maiden, fiercely proud of her arm-bands and the gold headband that held back her hair.

The previous day had seemed like a dream.

When she and the three other girls had left the palace they had not returned to the novice's dormitory, but had been welcomed into an established unit. Four Sword Maidens had come to the end of their five years' service and were now returning to their families, so Ashayt, together with Layla, Sadeh and Menwi were to make up the numbers. Ashayt was pleased that their mentors were part of the same unit, so she would still have Panya close by.

Now the dream was turning into a nightmare as she stood at the foot of the steps next to Panya, facing Maia and the Goddess.

Sekhmet had resumed her animal form and the beautiful human face she had shown them the day before was now replaced by the head of the lioness. She looked stern, but her voice had been kind as she had explained the situation.

"It seems my Lord Anubis is a poor loser. He insists on punishment for the novice responsible for the death of his Jackal guard and the wounding of the other."

"But they attacked us," blurted Ashayt, "they tried to abduct Menwi!"

Panya laid a restraining hand on Ashayt's arm.

"I know this," Sekhmet replied, "and I applaud everything you did, as do we all. But my hands are tied in the matter."

"How can this be?" cried Ashayt. "Surely, Lord Anubis cannot compel Our Great Goddess in anything?"

"It is not for you to question Our Goddess," hissed Maia, taking a step forward.

Sekhmet waved her back.

"You are right, Ashayt: Anubis cannot compel me in anything," the Goddess continued, "but My Father can, the Great God Ra, Lord of us all."

Ashayt bowed her head.

"It would seem Lord Anubis asked My Father for justice and, I regret to say, some kind of gesture is required to avoid further conflict. So it has been decided that you shall leave us."

"I am to be banished? cried Ashayt, tears welling in her eyes. "When I have only just become a Sword Maiden?"

"Only for a time," Sekhmet replied gently, "until the matter has been forgotten."

Ashayt raised her head.

"Where am I to be sent?" she asked quietly.

"To the Land of the Abandoned Ones," Sekhmet replied, looking at Maia, who nodded. "You will be safe there. And it will be good for you to study their ways. They are, after all, our kin, despite all the many years that have passed."

Ashayt's heart sank. She was to leave the Overworld and everything she loved: her family...Layla... Panya...the Goddess herself...to live on a different world, among a race of exiles.

"There is one thing more," the Goddess continued, "you shall not be going as a Sword Maiden: it would draw too much attention and make your stay there difficult. Lord Anubis will simply be told that you have been banished. He will not know where and he will not be told your name."

"When will I be going?" asked Ashayt.

The reply shocked her even more.

"Now."

©Adriana Nicolas 2016