Chapter 28: Prince Djed

The view was exactly as Djed had promised.

Beautiful.

To the front the villa overlooked one side of the Temple of Osiris, to the rear it looked upwards to gently rising tiers of great houses and gardens. The sun had passed its highest point and begun its descent. Everything was bathed in a mellow light.

Djed pointed out the Governor's palace, fronted with columns. There was a garden on its roof where Ashayt could just make out men and women relaxing in the shade. Just visible in the haze to the east was a gentle curve of the Nile, dotted with fishing boats.

Ashayt hoped she could keep him distracted from mentioning their first meeting.

"So how do you come to be inspecting the City Guard?" she asked.

"It is one of the duties I carry out for my Father," he answered.

"And who is your Father?"

"Why - our Pharaoh, of course," he replied, surprised. "That's why I am titled Prince, and my sister, the Lady Itet, is a Princess," he added, as if stating the obvious.

"Then your mother is Queen?" Ashayt asked, embarrassed by her own ignorance.

Djed laughed.

"Not the Queen," he added, "Not the Pharaoh's First Wife. But one of a number of lesser Queens, who live in the Royal Harem."

Ashayt was silent as she digested this information.

He looked at her, puzzled, "I am surprised you would not know this."

Realising that her ignorance was making things worse, Ashayt said:

"Tell me more about your duties."

"Mostly keeping an eye on the Governor here," he said, with a grin. "The Pharaoh can't be everywhere and he relies on his sons - and sometimes his daughters - to be his eyes and ears. Abydos is an important city, governing a large area, so I'm required to spend some months here every year."

"Is it hard to be away from court?"

"Not at all," he laughed. "So much ceremony, so many intrigues, so much gossip! Here, I can breathe!" He threw his arms wide, raising his head to the sun. With the light behind him, to Ashayt he seemed to radiate vitality. She realised how easy it was to be drawn to him.

He turned to her and took a step closer. He was scarcely taller than she was and his brown eyes fastened on hers, a warm smile creasing his sun-darkened face.

"And what about our village-girl," he said quietly, "what's her story?"

Ashayt had been thinking about what she might say and knew that how she said it was as important as what she said. Keep it light and confident, she thought to herself.

"Hardly a story," she said, with a shake of her head that set her blonde curls tumbling, "and I am sorry if I deceived you. The fact is, my parents would not be pleased to learn that I was wandering around unescorted - and I am sure the priests would be the first to tell them if they found out. Like you, I value my freedom."

"Your secret is safe with me," he said. "But who are you, who are your family?"

"We are not from these parts, but from further South," she answered, surprised at how smoothly the lie came, "and they have business at court which could cause...difficulties...if their destination were widely known." Then she added firmly: "I beg you not to press me on this."

He was silent for a moment, then nodded.

"On one condition..." he said.

She raised her chin, struggling to remain indifferent to his dark eyes and handsome face.

"...which is?"

"That you allow me to visit you at the Temple. I could accompany my sister."

"I am always to be found there," she said coolly, thinking it was time to set some distance between them. "Should you come with her, no doubt our paths might cross."

"I hope so," he said, "more than anything."

Just then, Seb appeared at the doorway to the roof and coughed quietly.

"My Lady, we have to leave now," he said, bowing.

©Adriana Nicolas 2016