Chapter 27: Warmth

Song: Human, Jon Bellion

Adrian's POV

Darkness washed over me like a thick blanket, my fingers trembling in an attempt to move on their own.

My breaths were shallow shudders, barely making it through my swollen windpipe.

My senses tingled, trying to listen to the abrupt sounds around me.

I heard muffles sounds, voices carrying towards me and stopping short of my ears.

There were loud booms like thunder and heat that coated my skin.

A hand touched my cheek, my body immediately cringing away from the foreign contact.

Don't touch me. I hate being touched. Stop it. Stop trying to hurt me.

A much louder noise tugged at me, though it still wasn't enough for me to hear. It felt as though I was underwater, sentences passing right over me and slipping around my tingling body.

"Adrian," the voice was crisp, the hand returning from its absence to brush against my arm.

I pulled away once again, whimpering softly in fear.

"Love,"

A heavier breath pulled from my lungs, arms wrapping around me as I sobbed loudly and collapsed against the comforting chest in front of me. I shook my head in disbelief, a gentle hand stroking the back of my hair while I continued to tremble and cry against the familiar skin.

"Shh, it's alright. I've got you." I nearly sobbed again at the kind tone, the sound draping around me and filling my aching limbs.

The arms started to move and I let out a cry of terror, thinking they would disappear forever. I panted loudly, trying to fill my empty lungs.

"You're alright, love." he kissed my sweat covered forehead. "I won't leave you."

He cupped the back of my head, my limbs only barely starting to gain movement and still needing some help.

I was too afraid to open my eyes, fearing that Finn would be gone and it would all just be a distant dream.

A loud bang forced me to pry my lids open, looking at the corner where the noise had come from. There were thick dents in the metal, bullet holes scattered among them.

"We have to go." Finn said, my arms and legs already out of their bonds.

Ronny stood in the corner, shaking from what looked like deep waves of pain.

"Dean is waiting for us." he said, holding up my limp body and pressing me firmly to his side. "The doctor is with him, but we won't be able to operate until we get back to the pack house. He can help relieve the pain, though." Ronny nodded his head, rubbing his obtuse stomach and anxiously tapping his fingers against his hip.