Chapter- 36 Clues

This chapter is dedicated to @shies322 . Thank you for your votes and since you were the first to comment and state your choice this chapter is in Xavier's pov about his journey... I hope all of you will like it.

Xavier's pov-

I was in enemy territory... I had to keep vigil on my surroundings and on my moves too... my slight slip may cause me to my head or something worse...

In the daytime, I ventured into the former 'sequoia pack' territory now claimed by rogues in hopes of finding answers as to why they attacked on red moon day. After looking deeply into the matter I was convinced that it has something to do with Zen.

My instincts told me of his involvement and without a doubt I followed them and hence after gathering some more interesting information, I headed for his pack.

I arrived when the sun was still up in the sky and decided to wait. I chose my hiding spot at the border of his territory and waited for the sun to go down...

Finally, after what felt like ages but in reality only a few hours, it was night... high time for me to make my move.

Slowly and steadily I moved in the shadows...

Creeping by the bushes I stopped within hearing distance of the patrol guards... They were in a heated discussion and distracted from their duties...

Their distraction will make my job easy...

'Was someone else's fault....? I was-'

'Doesn't matter... he got away and I too was punished with you... my back still hurts'

'I didn't know that prisoner was someone special! I only-'

'They were related... He was the key that would have solved all his problems... but now he is gone.'

'What about her sister? She is still there... couldn't she help?'

'She is no longer under his command as he is no longer her alpha.'

'Damm! But I am happy as she is free. She once helped my mom by taking care of her when she was sick. I still remember how after that she was punished so harshly coz she went against his command. This alpha is cruel. I mean he didn't even spare his mate for moon's sake!'

'And how he tried to capture her... sending rogues and whatnot... I can't wait for him to go down.'

'Not so loudly Dammit.'

'Fine... and you know what?'

'What!'

'I will pray to the moon goddess that they won't find him. He was so brutally beaten. It was a miracle how he escaped.'

'Not miracle. He is clever. You see, he didn't escape alone. He also released other prisoners so that when alpha sent guards to find him they will be misleading and it will buy him some time.'

'I didn't think it like that.'

'Forget it, let's just move and get this patrol done... I am craving for my Suzie's touch.'

'Ya man, let's go.'

I was still rooted in my spot... trying to decipher what they just said.

Numerous things were clear now...

1. Samira is innocent.

2. He is indeed involved in the attack.

3. A prisoner has escaped that was somehow important to him.

I have to find him before anyone else does.

With that information in mind, I quickly morphed into my wolf and left.

It was past midnight and still, I had not found him. I needed to head back to our territory because my time was almost up and I have to report to Kira in the morning.

Kira had given me specific instructions to look into the matter that concerned the human rogue and I have got the information.

I couldn't believe how he could do that. How can one be so mad with power that they would go to this extreme?

My wolf growled and I cursed.

No matter what we will protect her.

I have this urge to protect her all the time. Sometimes to me, it feels irrational.

For a while, I thought maybe she is my mate but this speculation was proved wrong the day when we came to know about her mate.

When I saw her fall to the ground something snapped in me.

Seeing her like that threw my mind in a whirl and I acted without thinking.

I did some stupid things and felt awful and confused afterward. But when it was over, I reached my room and thought about it.

Some things became clear.

The first was that she is not my mate. I thought very hard and talked with my wolf. He didn't feel any, not even slight attraction to her.

What we felt was the immense urge to protect her that I had thought of as infatuation.

I felt relieved that finally, some confusion was over.

But one question remains unanswered.

Why did I even feel such a strong need to protect her?

I was so lost in my thoughts that I almost missed it.

My wolf was on edge for some reason since I started this journey. But right now he was whimpering. And I feel my control slipping slightly.

I strained my ears and listened. It was silent... an eerie silence. And then my nose picked up a faint scent.

Blood and something that seems quite familiar but new too.

Automatically my feet turned in the direction where my nose was taking me. As I kept walking the scent got stronger and my wolf became more restless.

Finally, I came to a clearing and stopped. It was a full moon and I had no problem seeing the forest. My eyes soaked in the beautiful view that bathed in the moonlight but came to a stop in the middle of it.

Moonlight reflected on the surface of the puddle and gave it a red hue as it shined.

Blood.

And near the puddle laid a very still body of a wolf.

Something snapped in me just as I cried out...

Mate!!!