Chapter- 16 The Confrontation

Dedicated to- OdonnaPickell
Ms_JulieAnn

Alkira's pov -

Some people say that when we wait to see a person whom we hold close to our heart after a long time we get butterflies in our stomachs. We can't stop ourselves from revisiting the memory lane filled with happy moments with them. A stupid smile is there on our faces the whole time. The excitement laced with longing makes it a bitter-sweet moment. The wait is worth it if, in the end, we get to spend the rest of our life in their arms.

Others say that the waiting period is cruel. It slowly kills them as they have to wait for their special person. Each passing second is a burden as they were separated from their loved ones. They want time to increase its pace. They are restless and anxious to meet them.

But what can anyone say about my case?

My so-called mate loved me like there is no tomorrow but it turn out to be a lie, a big fat lie. He played me like a pawn in his own games. So how can I wait for him with a welcoming smile and twinkling eyes? Like nothing ever happened and everything is fine! My heart is filled with so much hatred for him that sometimes I fear for the people who are with me. I am afraid that maybe I will pollute them with my malice. They are good people. I am afraid if they saw me like this they will leave me for good and I will be broken-hearted, once again.

'Kira, don't you dare to think that. You are nothing like what you are saying. It is all rubbish. You are a good person. You are heartbroken by the fact that 'he' whom you once loved was the one to hurt you.

You are only sad and to add to your sadness you didn't mourn your family and pack members. It is what is eating you alive and you are too stubborn to admit it. But don't worry someday someone will knock sense into your thick skull. And for now, all we can do is wait. So no more self-loathing, get that.'

"Okay, Sira," I mumbled in my mind. My exasperation was clear but I couldn't say more.

I had changed into comfortable clothes which included a light red color tank top and blue shorts. It is a bit revealing but I have worn them with a purpose. My mate was informed an hour ago and till now he has been a no-show. Dr. Russell told me that he is in a meeting. He called me Luna when he saw that I was awake. To make my act better and more believable I shed a few tears and refused to accept the title saying that my mate died several years ago when my pack was brutally killed in a rogue attack.

He tried to convince me but I was inconsolable. The best part was when the doctor's eyes moistened a little at the end of my play showing me that he was completely trapped in my lie.

I felt a little awful for playing with his emotions but that was the demand of the situation. I did what needed to be done.

"Una."

I shifted in my seat and looked towards the door. There was a little girl standing by the door. She was around nine and her lisp was adorable. I motioned with my hand for her to come inside. She was wearing a pink color frock with a matching hairband. All in all, she was a cute little thing. I instinctively stretched my hand. She grabbed it and settled herself in my lap.

"What is your name, sweety?"

"Wose, Una."

"You can call me Kira."

She nodded shyly and made herself more comfortable in my lap. In her wiggling, she winced a little alerting me that something was wrong.

"Are you all right Rose?"