He's Not All That Bad

Start from the beginning

"Hanzo, you have to come back! It's your father," you whispered shakily as you pressed the cold metal of the device against your ear.

"(Y/N), what happened? I heard you screaming!"

"Shimada-sama suddenly fell down unconscious." You struggled to speak without sobbing all over again. You shook your head, trying to rid the vivid picture of the clan leader off your mind. "Hanzo, you have to come back here as soon as you can!"

"(Y/N), I can't just do that." His tone had softened from the robust tone he just held. "I can't just leave in the middle of my mission."

"Hanzo, I'm pretty sure you can arrange that for another time. You have to come home right away."

"It wouldn't be proper of me to just adjourn a meeting out of the blue, (Y/N). I've given them my word."

"Hanzo, what are you talking about?" you shot back hotly. "This is your father we're talking about--he needs you now."

The fervor in your vexation took the man aback on the other line, and you didn't even have to see him in the flesh to catch the downing shift of atmosphere between the two of you.

"(Y/N), listen to me. As much as I'd want to go back there and be with father, it's not going to be that easy-"

"But you're literally Hanzo Shimada--the Hanzo Shimada," you insisted. "You're an expert with negotiations and business and all kinds of those things. You've used those gifts to help you win over your business partners before, now why is it that you can't do this right when it's needed the most? Genji is hurting and he needs his brother to be with him and comfort him."

"Look, (Y/N), it's just- it's," your lover was stuttering and stumbling over his words as he tried to even his breathing out. "It's complicated."

A minute of silence, and then you dug your upper teeth down into the plump flesh of your lower lip as you registered the evident defeat that laced the last two words of his reply.

It's complicated.

Was that really the best excuse he had?

"(Y/N)?" he called out when you didn't give any sort of answer into the other line. "Are you there?"

"Look," you sighed heavily as you lifted your other hand to pinch the wrinkled bridge of your nose. "I think it's best that you call back another time, Lord Hanzo. I'm going to go ahead and check on your father and Genji."

From where he was, the heir shot himself off his seat on impulse and tried his hardest to prolong what little contact he had with you with a careful choice of words. "(Y/N), please wait-"

"I really have to go, Lord Hanzo," you mumbled, interrupting him, and ended the call with a quick press on the red icon that popped on your screen.

Putting the device back in your pocket, you looked around the wholeness of the Shimada property and grasped how late into the night it actually was. Aside from the usual song that the crickets played in the thick herbage, the air was still; not even the presence of the whistling night wind was present to soothe the knotty bundle of flesh that was you. It made you acquire a trickle of regret for ending the conversation against better judgement with a hot, muddled head; for not giving him the chance to speak his side.

To be honest, losing your cool back then was a blow on your streak of composure, and you grew squeamish.

This...had never happened before.

And you wished it would never have to happen again.

You craned your neck to look up to the ebony heavens as you felt something wet run down your cheek. To your shock, your vision blurred, and you placed ttwo fingertips against your skin on reflex and found to your dismay that you had shed tears.