Chapter 45

"It all started when my dad died, I was 11, i think. My mum was really nice and a huge softy back then. I was the only child so i got everything," Evena started. "But then, my dad died, some drunk truck driver," she choked and Roy gave her a sympathetic look. "Then, my mum hardened up, a lot," Evena closed her eyes and Roy reached over to squeeze her hand. "I'm sorry, i," he began. "Everyone's sorry when they loose something, mum wasn't," Evena knew this didn't make sense but she felt as she had left him with some secret message.

Evena pressed her lips together, the warmth of Jay's against her still there.

The rest of the trip was silent. Evena fiddled with the hem of the skirt. A wave of dread and fright tucked her in to an envelope and sealed her as her house came in to view. Roy pulled up the car in to the driveway were Evena's black ford stood. 

Before he let her go he said, "If anything happens, you tell me." A firm look in his eyes forced Evena to nod. "Ok, bye," she opened the door and with one longing glance back shut the door. Roy's car stood there for a second, before it left. Evena's knees became wobbly and she wished her mum was sleeping. She twisted the knob to the door. Locked. She sighed, as panic rose in her chest.

Evena ran around the house to her bedroom. The window was closed. But Evena never closed the latch. She peered in and saw the light from the kitchen spilling in to her room. Evena gently rattled the window and opened it. She stepped in side but her dress caught on the hook. Evena panicked. Her body went numb and it suddenly became very hot in her room as she froze. Footsteps were getting closer. Her mum would question the new clothes. Evena tugged harder until the dress ripped, all the way mid-thigh and she slammed the window shut. Her breathing stopped as she heard the footsteps pause, and then walk faster. Evena rushed to the bathroom, and closed the door behind her.

She sat against the bathroom door, feeling more or less secure and safe. She brought a finger to her lips, but the warmth of Jay's kiss wasn't there.