Chapter 22

Everyone was silent after the story. Thinking about it. Evena closed her eyes and let the words enter her. And then, when she looked down at her hairy arms, she didn't feel bad or self-conscious. Then, the pixies erupted in to applause. "And now," Altaira said and immediately the claps stopped. "Our beloved Princess Cherry shall open the Lake Dance, may Savannah shine upon us!"

Cherry bravely got up and the leaves drifted down towards the ground with the pixies still on them. Cherry walked towards the Mirror Lake, where the pixies would dance on, and spread her hands wide. Queen Zinnia flew down with guards at her side and held her daughters hand. Evena saw and it was like a huge punch to the gut. Tears blurred her vision as anger and sadness and jealousy ate her on the spot. 

Evena wiped her tears, careful not the smudge the foundation. The Royals lifted their hands and the Lake formed in to a stop-motion transparent wave. Queen Zinnia and Cherry dropped their lifted hands and the wave came down with a splash and came down under the fairies. It was like a thick sheet of watery glass acting as a dance floor. Evena realised her feet weren't wet. 

Cherry grinned back at her as her mother left and sat on a huge throne.