Chapter 17

Evena froze. All the hairs on her body stood up as sweat trickled down her face. Her body became heated and weird sensation went through her. "EVENA ESSENICS! O que você está fazendo você, idiota, idiota !! (What are you doing you stupid stupid child!!)" Her mother's voice hissed and her eyes narrowed. Anger haunted her eyes as she grabbed Evena's leg and tried to pull her back inside. 

But Evena had enough of going with the flow. Evena fought. She tugged back and was out of her mum's harsh grip. There were red marks. Her mother banged her hands against the window and ran out of the room. Evena's body froze and she was glued to the ground. Move! she told herself. And with all the energy she had left in her, Evena ran to the forest. 

She ran blindly and she could hear her mother's curses and screams behind. She was in huge trouble when she got back. 

IF she came back. 

Evena did not see the creek. She didn't see the green murky water. And so her foot went straight in and with a shocked and surprised scream she fell in to the water. Evena fought for air. Her body was still. Her legs were bleeding. There were tears on her cheeks. Her head hit the bottom and Evena used her feet to push up. When she surfaced Evena gasped as the cold night air hit her. She heard a loud door bang from far away and a torch flashing.

Evena shook and she froze in fear. A habit. Her whole body was tingling and emotions were running like drunk athletes through her. Her eyes closed as she found the courage to get out. With much effort, as she was shaking with fear and relief, Evena heaved herself out of the creek and pain shot through her legs like crazy. Evena looked down and tears flooded her eyes. It was bad. She clamped a hand over her mouth to prevent a sob and her hair was stuck to her scalp and fell over an eye:

 She clamped a hand over her mouth to prevent a sob and her hair was stuck to her scalp and fell over an eye:

But the shrieks got closer and she ran through the forest. She found the mushroom circle, just as a torch's light cut through the trees and a loud splash and scream of violent rage was heard.

Evena closed her eyes. Nothing. She opened them and tried again. Panic was forming as footsteps grew closer. Evena tried several times and the light grew faster. "EVENA!!" her mother's voice shrilled.  She heard swear words and Evena closed her eyes. Evena knew, when she was taken to the fairy world, she became invisible and almost disappeared from the human world. The atmosphere lightened and she heard tiny chatter.

"Evena?" Cherry's voice cut through. Evena kept her eye's closed and bowed her head. Letting herself cry. All of a sudden Cherry's hands were around her and Evena told her everything and anything. Evena sobbed it out and Cherry never let go of her friend. 

And Evena felt relief.