Chapter 25

Everything was happening too quickly for a suicidal girl like Evena. 

"Wow, that's one tough life you've got to live," Zayne shook his head, his unruly brown locks being combed by the wind. Evena nodded silently and wiped her cheeks. "Are you going to go back?" Zayne looked at her with sympathy. "No...yes...i have to.....i can't.....don't....i don't know," Evena sighed and got up. 

"Hey," Zayne gently took her hands and made her look in to his golden eyes. "You've been through so much but look, you're still here," Evena nodded, let the words wash over her. "Why have you been holding on for? What have you been holding on for?" he challenged.

And that caught Evena's attention.

"Easy for you to say," she frowned. He shook his head. "Maybe, but you haven't answered my question." "I guess, it's that maybe she'll change. Maybe she'll love me and miss me when i go to  school and sit in my room, thinking about me, when i'm gone, and help me and take me to places and care. Maybe when i go somewhere she'll sleep in my bed, thinking of me and being happy for me and being sad when i go. Maybe she'll smell my pillows for my scent when I go. Maybe. But she won't," an unexpected sob erupted from her throat as the tears blinded her vision. Because Evena knew that was never going to happen. Her mum was nothing like that.

Zayne was moved and his heart ached, and he could only feel a tiny fraction of her hurt and loss. "I-i, i'm sorry Evena, i-i didn't mean," he dropped his hands and knew he had hit a sensitive spot. Zayne hung his head and when he looked up, Evena was looking at him, smiling sadly. "No, it's okay. My mum isn't the only reason, Jay," as Evena mentioned his name something flashed in Zayne's eyes. Jealousy pounded his heart and anger was sugar coated in his eyes by a Oh-I'm-happy-For-you-then look. 

"J-jay? A friend?" he asked, hopeful. 

Evena didn't notice the fake smile. "No, Jay is a really good friend." With that Zayne released a relieved sigh. "Well i guess i do kinda like him," Evena challenged just to see Zayne's reaction. "Like?" he almost choked as that feeling settled in him once again. I'll just show her who's the better friend, he thought fiercely. Evena smiled, and Zayne scolded himself. 

"Back to the dance?" she asked. "Ok, but don't forget, you were given this life because you were strong enough to live it," Zayne looked firmly in to Evena's blue fairy eyes and he could've sworn he saw a red tint below her foundation.