35. EJ

HS

Niall and I walk back into my place, the both of us silent ever since we left Niall's old flat.

I blindly kick the door shut, before we topple ourselves down onto the sofa, the both of us still completely lost in thought.

I lean my head back onto the back rest, while he rests his head in my lap. I sigh softly, starting to run my fingers through his hair gently, his father's words ringing in my head.

(A/N: All italics will be the flashback of when they were talking to Niall's dad.)

"A hundred more for you to tell us who it is." Niall says with strong confidence. "And the truth."

And as his lips part, spilling the name that has been behind all of this mess, I feel like my heart just... stopped beating.

"Elijah Reynolds."

EJ... EJ is Elijah Reynolds. Elijah fucking Reynolds is EJ. That snobby, egoistic, imperious son of a bitch would go that far to see my studio crumble down, to see my life crumble down. Niall once mentioned how 'EJ' owns a whole plot of land for growing cannabis. I'm not surprised, that snobby donkey is filthy rich.

It's all starting to make sense. He has known me ever since we've both been nominated for an award show two years ago. And since then, we have always been competitors in the advertising industry. To think he'd go so low, to get someone; Leo, to get hired into my studio just so he can embezzle my funds. But, why two years later?

Then, at the gala I took Niall to a couple of months back, he was talking to Niall when I was off talking to a potential sponsor. Niall's entire demeanour was tensed and rigid, it's like the entire room could feel the tension. At that time, I thought it was only because he insulted Niall, but now, I know it's more than just a petty insult.

The embezzlement from my studio, the 35 million dollar debt. He planned it so specifically well at the right time, shooting me down in one shot, from all directions, through things that mean the most to me— my studio and Niall. All because, what? That he's jealous? Jealous that my studio is doing better than his? That he's just a sadist? Pure and simple, and just wants to watch me crumble? How low can he get?

"You're lying." I somehow manage to stutter out.

"Do I look like I am?" He quirks an eyebrow.

I turn to Niall expectantly, to see that his eyes are just as wide as mine.

"Tell me he's lying, Niall. Why would it be him?" I ask, almost desperately.

"He's not lying." Niall mutters, staring straight at his father with an intense glare.

"Elijah Reynolds? He's been plotting against me this entire time?" I ask more to myself.

Niall's father chuckles darkly. "Oh, and there's definitely more from him."

I tug on the roots of my hair in vexation, grunting under my breath.

"That night at the gala you brought me to," Niall speaks up, bringing me out from my thoughts. My hand falls back down to my side as I look down at him. "He asked me what a chav, someone who looks like a dealer, trafficker, a druggie, whatever... was doing at something so fancy. I thought it was mere insult. To think it was because.. because he said it to gauge my reaction. He wanted to see if I would react in a certain way. And I did. I snapped and I told him to 'shut the fuck up because I'm not like that anymore.' It must have only confirmed his suspicions of me working under him." Niall mumbles, heaving a deep sigh.