Absalom Gannibal

*Chris' POV*

It had been approximately three weeks since the incident occurred. Since I found out about the rogue, her rape, the pregnancy, and how Lucien carelessly and selfishly ripped the child from Kolfinna. I haven't made any advancements on her since that night. We've taken things very slow, not mentioning anything that happened that night. Since I'd never been to New Orleans before, she had been taking me out almost every day for different ventures. We've walked through the streets, eaten at her favorite café, and stopped at her favorite shops. We've wondered throughout antique stores, oddity boutiques, occult shops, and miniature strange libraries. She's taken me to the square to show me the local artists and street performers. She's even cooked us breakfast on mornings when the sun had yet to rise. We'd sit on her balcony together and watch the streets fill to the brim with tourists. Today was now Sunday, and for some unknown reason, she was bustling about the loft while I laid in bed. Before I could react, she hit me over the head with a pillow.

"Unggh." I grunted at her, burying my face in the pillow.

"Get up! We need to get a head start because there's someone you have to meet today, and he gets uptight when people are late!" She spoke, shoving me over. I groaned and looked up at her. For once, she was wearing something other than white. This was a beige cream colored dress that stopped at her ankles. Her rosary beads dangled loosely from around her neck. The way her hair was curled into the perfect bun and held in place by little skeleton hand clips made me smile.

"Oh really? And just who am I meeting today?" I asked as she stripped the bedspread off of me.

"His name is Absalom Gannibal. He's the closest friend here that I've got. His ancestors were slaves of New Orleans, he's one of the only ones that can still speak his native tongue." She spoke with enthusiasm, throwing my jeans and Misfits tank at me. "Now hurry, the man is going to flip his shit if I'm late again." I shook my head at her, but obliged to her wishes by getting dressed.

*Kolfinna's POV*

Chris and I strode down the New Orleans sidewalks, walking further and further from Bourbon Street, and onto Rue Dumaine. We passed Esoterica Occult Goods and hooked a left into the more un chartered side of town. This is where people lived. This is where Absalom Gannibal hides. We met when I got lost one day, trying to get back home from Rev. Zombie's. I walked right into the dangerous side of New Orleans. I started to call for a taxi until I heard a cracked voice whisper something along the lines of "vampire". When I looked around, I saw Absalom, leaning on his walker, a sour expression on his face. He was one of the few who knew what I was. I stopped in front of the little run down shack, it's wood rotted and windows covered as if condemned.

"What's with the red rose petals?" Chris wandered aloud, looking down at his feet. I smiled and looked back up at him.

"Red rose is the traditional symbol that Haitians use for marriage and love. He's expecting us." I whispered, opening the freshly painted green door. I let go of his hand when we entered the house and locked the door behind me. "Absalom?! It's Finna, I brought someone to see you!" I called out, standing next to the door with my hands folded.

"Coming!" His cracked and old voice rang through the house, making me smile. He shuffled in on his walker, his black cat, Abel, in tow. "Ahh, my darling Finna. You look wonderful dear." He smiled up at me from his hunched position, and I leant over to kiss both his cheeks.

"Thank you so much Absalom. You look handsome yourself." I spoke. He smiled and patted my hand, but then he noticed Christopher.

"Ah. You must be the suitor." He walked over to Chris and hit him in the leg with the walker. "Stand up straight boy, you're in my prescience." He snapped. Chris straightened and allowed Absalom to look him over. "Strong arms, muscular legs, thick abdomen. Lucien did good." He mumbled. "Come children, you must me hungry." He led us into his living room where multiple pillows laid across the floor in front of a seance table. No doubt Absalom was the best at his artistry.

"I'm guessing your lovely alligator bites and gumbo?" I asked, detecting the delicate stench of alligator meat and grains.

"Very good. Your senses are improving. I shall fix you both a bowl." He smiled, shuffling into the kitchen.

"Shouldn't I go and help him? I mean, can he carry everything?" Chris leaned over and whispered in my ear. I smiled a little and replied.

"He's very independent and hates when asked if he needs help. He believes if he's survived this long without help, then he sure as hell doesn't need it now." I playfully rolled my eyes and giggled a little over Absalom's stubbornness. I quickly shut my mouth when he walked back in. He set the bowls on the table in front of us, and then a plate filled with deep fried alligator.

"Smells delicious Abs." I smiled.

"Your favorite." He spoke, eating his lunch.

"So what do you think of Christopher?" I openly asked Absalom, swirling my grits.

"He's very strong, stout, and muscular. Exactly the mate you need. He feels deeply for you, though he feels like he barely knows you. He's definitely your perfect match."