Happy New Year! Part One

Start from the beginning

"Come on, please man. I have some info about Lauren." Marcus tried to sway me.

"No, if I want info I can just text her. Nice try, go figure this out for yourself, she's all yours." I concluded as Marcus parked the van about two blocks away.

"Damn it's freezing." Troy shivered.

"I'll say," I chattered. We jogged up to the front door of Chandler's huge house. The house was grand, it was very well designed with the old stone structure, big windows and three stories.

"Troy, Marcus, Luke! Dudes, get in here, you're missing all the fun!" Bryce opened the door, the pulsating music and the disco lights engulfed us in dimly lit room. People shouted and danced and raised red solo cups.

There was a DJ station in the corner by the huge fireplace, Lars was at the controls, he was talented when it came to mixtapes and music. But from what I could see, he had way too much to drink, he could hardly stand on his own two feet.

"This is wild, man!" Marcus shouted, but it was barely audible. There was no way I'd be staying here till midnight, I might get an Uber home earlier than I thought. This was way too loud for my taste, also, based on the uncontrolled chaos, I knew something bad was bound to happen.

"I know right, the cheerleaders are over there in the kitchen. Come on boys, let's have some fun!" Bryce bellowed, as he led us into the kitchen, I stayed behind. I wasn't going anywhere near that kitchen, I didn't even plan on staying on the main floor.

I think my ears must've been bleeding, my brain felt like it was bouncing inside my skull. How was this fun? The voice in my head tried to shout over the noise. I covered my ears, desperate for a place that was quieter and had no people.

I ran upstairs, turned a corner and ran until the stairs came to an end. Up here it was probably as close to quiet as I'd get. The music from downstairs seemed to send vibrations through the walls, the shouts and screams were muffled but still audible. "WHAT'S UP WEST HIGH!"

"SPEECH AND DEBATE IS HERE, BITCHES!" I heard someone shout. I jumped up, maybe Lauren and I could hang out and complain about how loud this party was. I forced myself to walk down the the three flights of stairs just as the last girl had entered. I scanned the crowd, usually I could point Lauren out out in a second. But I couldn't see her, I didn't see her curly brown hair or her cute nervous posture.

I pushed my way through the hot and sweaty high schoolers jumping up down by the DJ. Something in the kitchen did catch my attention, it was a girl, swaying side to side in a little black dress. Her hair was piled on her head in a messy bun. Her back was turned but they way she moved and danced to the music drew me towards her. I took cautious steps, carefully maneuvering around people in order to reach the kitchen.

For a moment I stopped, I needed to remind myself that I liked Lauren and only Lauren. But the way this girl danced was not in a sexy way or anything, but pulled me towards her. The way she danced was like she was free, when you dance in your room alone to your favorite song, I admired this girl's confidence.

I started walking towards the girl in the little black dress before my vision was clouded with pink, "Lukey? I didn't think you'd be here tonight." An all to familiar voice cooed.

"Hey Andrea, happy New Year." I tried to politely shove her aside, my eyes still locked on the girl in the black dress.

"Did you come here for me Lukey? Aw you're so sweet, the answer is yes, I'll be your girlfriend." She threw her arms around me. I snapped out of my daze and shoved her off aggressively this time.

"What? No, Andrea, please leave me alone. Have you seen Lauren?" I tried to change the subject.

"Why would you want to see Lauren when I'm right here, come on baby. Let's go somewhere alone." She walked her fingers up my chest, rocking back and forth. It that was clear that she'd had too much to drink and wasn't in her right mind.