28 | never satisfied

28 | NEVER SATISFIED

The silence they sat in was overwhelming

The silence they sat in was overwhelming. It reeked of regret and utter guilt. Rick and Roxanne only felt it for a short amount of time before the two got up again and began to search the other rooms for the weapons.

Rox and Rick stalked once again through the rooms and rummaged through all of the items, desperate to find something at that point. However, a click of a gun disrupted their voiceless process. A man stood behind both Rick and Rox. He held a pistol and with an ominous voice he began to instruct them to listen to him carefully: "Drop your weapons. Turn around slow." The pair did as told and faced the man.

A flicker of recognition lit up in Rick's eyes as his eyes matched the stranger's pair. The stranger diverted his eyes from Rick, too ashamed to even make eye contact with his old acquaintance. "Hi, Rick." The stranger barely growled out.

"Your name... is Morales. You were in Atlanta." Rick's words were vocalized through his breaths.

"That was a long time ago. It's over, Rick. I called the Saviors back. And they're coming." Morales' voice was gruff, and deep. It reflected the sufferance he must've endured to make it where he was.

"So you're the Rick and Roxanne from Alexandria. This whole time, it was you." Morales continued to speak.

"You called your men in for nothing. The fight's out there. It's just us in here." Rick digressed.

"—Did you hear what I just said? I know who you are. I saw it in the mirror through the open door. And it wasn't any kind of blast from the past. As soon as I saw you, I knew you'd made the same trip as me. From there to here. Shit, well, I guess we aren't the same guys we used to be, huh? 'Cause you're a monster. I called them back because you're a prize, Rick. We've been told. We don't kill you, the Baby-mom, the Widow, or the King— not if we don't have to. So why are you here, Rick? I know you, just like before. You're always the guy willing to rush in. But why? What is it you're looking for? Nothing to say, huh?" Morales moved the conversation back on topic.

"Satisfaction." Roxanne answered for Rick. 

Morales cocked his head curiously. "He will never be satisfied." She grumbled.

"It doesn't matter. Not anymore. Not for you, nor you, or anyone else you brought in here. 'Cause what's left of my people... they're coming. And we'll get you to Negan. Or we won't. Either way, we're gonna settle your shit, Peaches." Morales' long and tiring monologue finally came to a close and left Rick speechless. He didn't know what to say. Because everything Morales said was true.

Rick and Morales continued to speak back and forth. Talking about their family, their losses and their life since Atlanta (where they met). Roxanne's mind and soul left her body. She felt like she blacked out as she tuned out their dragging conversation. It was quite frightening how calm she was to have a gun pointed at her. She remained in this state until she saw Morales' body drop to the ground. Daryl had rushed in and shot Morales in the throat with an arrow. "Wait no!" Rick shouted, but he was too late.

"About damn time." Roxanne groaned in her usual emotionless manner. She seemed to had fallen back into that void as Morales was going on and on and on.

"Y'all good?" Daryl questioned. Roxanne nodded, stepped over the dead body and headed out the door.

Rick was in shock. "T-that w-w-was—" Rick began.

"I know who it was. It don't matter. Not one little bit. You find 'em guns?" Daryl asked.

"They ain't here." Roxanne scoffed.

"What?!" Daryl exclaimed in his unusually calm manner.

Rick began to hurriedly pick up the weapons he and Roxanne dropped on the ground. "He called the Saviors back from the courtyard. We gotta get out before—" Rick was then interrupted by a series stomps rushing into the building followed by a door being slammed open.

"They're here." Rick finished.

Daryl and Roxanne instantly assumed a stealthy position to hide themselves and attack if need be. Rick tossed Roxanne her gun and followed pursuit. Daryl led the way as they began to scurry down the hall. The trio dodged many shots, shot back and scurried along the halls like they were in a movie scene. Soon enough, the three had one bullet left. And they used it to shoot at a fire extinguisher. The extinguisher acted as a fog bomb. It created a thick fog that concealed the three as they used that moment to ambush and kill the remaining attackers.

Within moments the three finished killing off the invading Saviors and suddenly heard the familiar voice of Aaron, a fellow Alexandrian, shout: "Sweep the floor!"

"Aaron! We're by the elevator." Rick shouted, for he too had instantly recognized Aaron's voice.

* * *

Roxanne held the baby she and Rick had orphaned. The child slept soundly in her arms. Roxanne listened to her calm breathing pattern and watched her small chest rise and fall. She carried the child over to the car and sat with it while the others cleared the surrounding area of walkers and dead bodies.

Rick wandered back over to her and stared down at the child. Roxanne caressed the baby's head and cradled her closely. Her softness could've made anyone melt, but not Roxanne. It only made her more tense and she remembered Kali more and more.

"I'll have someone take her to the Hilltop. She'll be safe there." Rick told.

Roxanne nodded curtly and quickly handed him the being. With a swift motion, Rick grabbed her and walked away with her— handing her off to another person that would be able to take her away. Roxanne watched Rick carry the baby away with a cold stare. Her facial muscles her tense and she didn't allow one emotion to peak through her eyes. However, one lonely tear did fall down her face. It hit her cheek quietly and messily rolled down the rest of her face— making sure it left a visible, glossy trail.