9 | death

9 | DEATH

It was dark out and the group was still walking to the quarry amongst the sea of walkers

It was dark out and the group was still walking to the quarry amongst the sea of walkers. After a while, Rox began to feel like she was a walker after seeing so many of them look at her dead in the eye like it was nothing. She noticed Jesse's boy, Sam, begin to fidget and breakdown.

"Sam?"
"You can do it."
"Yes you can."
"Come on, Sam."

Many of people in the group whispered encouraging words to him to keep him from drawing attention. But before he could calmed down, two or three walkers pounced onto him and began to tear through his flesh with their teeth.

Roxanne's heart dropped in that very moment. Her eyes widened and, as a mother, tears began to spill down her face because of the agony she knew Jesse was about to endure. Jesse could only bawl silently as she watched in horror. Jesse couldn't, and wouldn't let go of her sons hand as he was being devoured by the monsters.

Jesse began to scream, for she couldn't bare the sight any longer. More walkers swarmed around and this time attacked Jesse, pulling her body apart limb by limb. Roxanne reached for Jesse and attempted to fish her out of the hoard of zombies, grunting.

As soon as she felt something sharp pierce her skin, Roxanne retrieved her arm— afraid if a walker had bit her. Rick began to whisper many no's and yanked Roxanne's arm so that he could briefly inspect it. All he could see was a pool of blood, and he quickly wrapped it up with a piece of cloth as Rox winced in pain.

"Dad!" Carl shouted for help as he tried to let go of Jesse's arm, but she would not budge. Rick pulled out his hatchet and began to hack off Jesse's arm from his son. In the midst of it, Rick dropped his gun in the grass.

As soon as Carl was freed from her grip, a click of a gun was sounded. The four remaining survivors shot their heads over to the origin of the sound. It came from Jesse's eldest son, who now held Rick's gun in his hand and was pointing it at Rick.

"You." He said, with a dark and demeaning look plastered on his face.

Before he could even think of shooting the gun, Michonne creeped up behind him and sliced him with her katana. Once the initial shock hit him, he squeeze the trigger, shooting wildly no where in particular.

"Dad?" Carl said, confused as to why he had a sudden pain in his head, then collapsed onto the ground.

Both Rick and Rox gasped. Rick was paralyzed in shock, but Rox scurried over to Carl to pick him up and take him back into the house. Michonne and Rick began to make a path as Rox ran with Carl in her muscular arms.

Rox followed Rick to a nearby house with lights on. The door was swiftly opened as soon as their feet were on the porch, and they rushed into the makeshift hospital.

"Is this a gunshot?" The doctor, Denise, asked.

"Handgun, close range!" Michonne informed.

"Please save him, please!" Rick pleaded as he hovered over the table Carl laid sprawled out on.

"I can help, I've taken a medical training class before." Rox offered, rolling up her sleeves.

Denise nodded at her at threw some towels at her. "Okay, we need to keep pressure on the wound. I'll go in and sew up any lacerations." Denise instructed, and Roxanne obeyed.

She continued to follow Denise's order until Rick walked out of the house with a hatchet in his hand and Roxanne abandoned the operation table. "Rick!" She called after him, stopping him on the porch.

He began to sob. "I— I have to, Rox. Go b—back inside." He said, nudging her back to the door, and then going on a raging walker-killing spree.

Roxanne found it too dangerous to stop him at that point and she ran back inside of the house, continuing to provide her help for Carl until they finished patching him up.

Before Roxanne could return to Rick's side, Denise caught a glimpse of Roxanne's arm. She inhaled sharply, afraid to see what the wound was caused from. She really didn't want to know, because it had a high chance of it being a walker bite.

"Sit." Denise barked. Rox sat, following her instruction.

Carefully, Denise peeled back the cloth that had been tightly wrapped around her forearm. Rox caught a glimpse of the wound and sighed out in relief when she realized it wasn't a walker bite nor a scratch from a walker. Some piece of metal, maybe a knife, must've cut her as she was attempting to save Jesse.

"Thank God." Roxanne ran her free hand through her matted and tangled hair, allowing herself to sink back into her chair.

* * *

The next morning, Roxanne found herself in a comfy bed next to Rick. Her eyes scanned the room to see that neither Kali nor Judith were in there. Rox's heart began to race, she was anxious to see her daughter again; alive and well might I add. Rox propped herself up on the bed, but couldn't seem to move anymore than she had already done, for she was far too sore. Rox grunted as she continued to try and get up.

A warm hand was pressed to her chest and laid her back down; the belonged to Rick of course. "They're in the other room with Michonne." He informed, which allowed Rox to relax and sink back into the bed. Rick turned on his side and pulled Rox near him.

"Thank you for saving me... again." Roxanne referred to when she had cut her arm.

Rick didn't even want to speak about the events of the night before, all he wanted to do was lay there, and rest. Roxanne traced circles on his bare chest as he laid there shirtless under the covers. She wanted to thank him in a special way, but didn't know if he were up to it at that very moment.

Rox leaned in close, and pressed her lips onto his. It reminded her much of the first time they kissed. Rick began to deepen it, and Rox found that she could thank him now; she knew that he needed it after all of the stress he had endured the night before.

Rox propped herself up onto him, and he began to run his hands up and down her sides. Then they began to do sweet things that should only be shared amongst one another...

an: I've been spelling Jessie wrong this whole time...
Oh well, she dead.