41 Wish (Part 4)

Mulai dari awal

"Come, be with me," he beseeched.

"You are not real," she growled.

"But I love you."

She glared, fists clenching. "Whoever you are, you are not Deiyu."

"Do you not love me?"

Her answer was unyielding. "No."

Fury corrupted the placidity on his face. She gaped as his skin turned grey for a moment, and his body shook like a broken hologram, flashing in and out with the image of someone else. The second figure was taller, much taller, and he wore armor that glinted blue under the sunlight.

Where had she seen blue armor like that before?

The facade of Deiyu endeavored to hold its form, but it failed. Eventually, it morphed completely into the beast in blue armor--a monster that was far too humanoid.

Maeyune stumbled away. She had been so absorbed in shock that she didn't notice the tendrils of green energy behind her. They stretched past her, shaping into claws and snaking toward the creature.

The armored beast bawled in rage as green energy slashed it apart, destroying his image. When he and the portal to Ursa evaporated, Maeyune spun on her heels to face the source of the energy, and she met the glowing, green gaze of the robed Suolani woman.

Maeyune's throat tightened as her mind became an infinite mess. The word escaped her lips. "Mother?"

"I knew you would grow into an incredible young woman," spoke the image of her mother. The woman's tone fluctuated with joy. She tilted her head, and humor sparkled in her eyes. "I'm happy your aunt made sure of that."

She gave Maeyune a warm smile and took a few steps forward, the hem of her robe brushing across sand. Maeyune stood frozen, eyes wide as her mother raised a hand and held Maeyune's cheek in her palm.

Her hand was as tangible as the tear that slipped from Maeyune's eye.

Real. Her mother felt so real. And so warm.

Here she was, her mother only inches from her--alive and breathing even if she was just an illusion. She was exactly how Maeyune had seen her in Aunt Lyn's memories. Ayla Ereni had been full of energy and humor--just as she was now--before she had traded her life away to ensure her daughter's survival.

Maeyune's thoughts paused as that one memory returned to her. Her mother had died immediately after Maeyune had been born. But it hadn't been from the strain of childbirth. Her mother had sacrificed herself. Why?

"It's time to save the world now, love," her mother whispered, eyes swirling with every shade of green.

It finally occurred to Maeyune that her mother's eyes hadn't been green. They had been brown, like her own natural eyes. The green must have been a visual representation of her mother's power. After all, Ayla had been a moon temple High Priestess once.

Her mother said no more and only removed her hand from Maeyune's cheek to gesture behind her. A tepee tent revealed itself a few feet from her, merging into existence. Then, with a final smile of farewell, Ayla was gone, vanishing in a whirl of emerald smoke and sand.

Maeyune choked, staring at the empty space that her mother had occupied, and closed her stinging eyes.

Save the world, her mother had said.

Maeyune wasn't sure what that meant, but she took in a sharp breath and opened her eyes again. Mind cleared, she trudged forward to see what her mother had wanted to show her inside the tent. When she nudged aside the flap, she was met with giggles and whispers.