33 Heart (Part 2)

Together, Maeyune and her team arrived at one of the base's attached hangars to prepare for the day's mission. Upon entering the steel building, Maeyune came across a padded mat that served as a makeshift training area. Someone had laid it out on the ground between two idle gunships - no doubt to spar and help pass the time between tasks.

There were two young men already on the mat. One of them had a pale, blonde head that Maeyune could recognize in a crowd. Jaysek's back was to her, and his attention was concentrated solely on his opponent.

As her friends walked past, uninterested, Maeyune took the chance to examine the friendly bout.

Jaysek swept his hair from his eyes with long fingers. He made a comment that Maeyune could not hear, but it inspired action in his opponent. With a smirk, the latter rushed forward, and Jaysek contested his jabs. However, his opponent managed a speedy crouch and kicked Jaysek's legs from underneath him. The wind celestial landed hard on his back, an audible oof flying from his mouth.

Wearing an amused smile, Maeyune approached the mat and folded her arms. To Jaysek, she asserted, "Your stance is too wide."

Jaysek twisted his body on the mat to follow her voice. He glanced up from where he lay and was surprised to see her. Picking himself up from the ground, he smoothed his hands down his battlesuit in an attempt at a better presentation.

"Oh?" he said with a smile. "I don't suppose you have a chance to help me correct my form?"

Accepting the invitation, she stepped onto the mat as his opponent moved aside. When Jaysek assumed a defensive stance, she pointed at his legs.

"You look like a land celestial prepared to withstand a mountain," she described. "You are wind, Jaysek, and should move like the wind."

Extending her foot, she nudged his feet closer together. But before she could finish correcting his stance, he lunged at her. His hands gripped her shoulders, and the back of his ankle hooked around hers. Caught off guard, she fell backward, and they tumbled onto the mat.

She felt a gentle flurry of wind that softened her landing. It blew the length of her ponytail into her face, temporarily obscuring her vision. When her black strands established a dark halo around her head, she watched as Jaysek moved to lay over her, their chests nearly pressed together. His elbows rested on either side of her head, and his face hovered inches above hers.

Jaysek's potent, sapphire eyes glittered as he observed her. She was caged underneath him.

"What are you doing?" she demanded. She sounded breathless in her ears.

"Moving like the wind," he answered casually.

She could have sworn his head drew nearer.

She moved quickly. Her hands thrust into his torso and shoved him into the air. With a startled yelp, he flew several feet off to the side. In a shifting blur, she slid to position herself over him and secured her forearm against his throat.

Jaysek froze where he lay, hands raised on the mat in submission. A pearly-white smile played across his handsome face - hardly the look of surrender. The blue ocean of his eyes developed an intensity that she reluctantly found captivating.

"So," he said, clearing his throat against her relaxing grip. "You like being on top?"

It was then that she realized their compromising position: she was straddling his hips. To her shock, it appeared quite the intimate display.

"Jaysek!"

The voice forced them to turn their heads to Deric, who was beckoning for Jaysek to join him. The dark-skinned land celestial raised his eyebrows at the sight of the two on the mat, but he said nothing else as he returned to his team.