36 Winds

An invisible cloak uncovered the mothership feet by feet, materializing the ship into existence

An invisible cloak uncovered the mothership feet by feet, materializing the ship into existence. Resting further down the plain, the ship spanned the entire width of the clearing and was ten times larger than the Overlord's transport. Its wingtips just barely brushed against the ring of trees.

"Maeyune!" Jaysek shouted.

Maeyune drew her mind back into her own body and spun at the urgency in his voice. When she followed his gaze down the arched corridor, she saw her target.

Standing at the far end of the corridor was the Wobeck dressed in blue armor. The front of his helmet trained on them, as if he were watching them, silent. Though, the moment her eyes landed on him, he turned and disappeared behind a corner.

The mission. Maeyune had to carry out the mission.

She had to capture the Overlord before she could do anything about the ship outside. If she consumed most of her bracelet's stored energy in order to destroy the ship and its army of Wobeck, she didn't know if she would have enough remaining to confront the Overlord. And above all, she could not let him escape, not when he was so close.

She found the minds of Meera, Clover and the captain of the Beran recon team, and she commanded, Find cover! I am going after the leader.

Sparing no more time, she moved forward through the halls. Aerylis and Jaysek followed at her heels, bow and long dagger drawn.

With hasty steps, Maeyune's feet tread along a floor of black metal, which looked much like dark water with frozen ripples. As she strode across the floor's grooved texture, the soles of her boots gave off soft pats, audible enough to echo against the metal and black-stoned walls. But she doubted stealth would provide much assistance.

She pressed her back into the wall and glanced around the corner where the Overlord had disappeared. With no sight of him, she carried on, sword pointed out at the ready.

Eventually, the sounds of blasts from outside dimmed into a drone. Not too long after, she and the wind celestials found themselves facing an arched doorway leading into a room. Inside the room, the walls were glowing with holographic symbols.

From where she stood, Maeyune saw five, black stone pillars at the center of the room. The pillars reached from the floor to the ceiling and were so intricately carved, they looked almost serpentine in shape.

Maeyune narrowed her eyes and continued, slower. She didn't recognize what she saw. The human race had scrounged nothing like those stone pillars from the previous war.

The plasma rifles, the holographic abilities, and even aspects of the aircrafts that mankind used today had originally come from the Wobeck, with several modifications applied to better suit humans and Vaius's architectures. But those pillars? She had never seen the like before.

She wasn't surprised, of course. They still knew nothing about the invading race.

The pillars had been constructed into a circle. When Maeyune, Aerylis and Jaysek entered the room with caution, their target emerged from behind one of the pillars. And in his hand was a sword with a curved, silver blade.