Chapter 61 Coach?

Thalassa's POV

The whole day I was confused. How did Desmond make the team? I thought he played football. When we were dating he played, so why isn't he playing now? He was one of the best wide receivers in the state. Why would you want to mess with that?

Finally, the last bell rings and I go straight to the gym. I change into my Nike clothes and shoes. I really like Nike. We didn't get our bags and uniforms until the second or third day of practice. Once we all met in the gym coach starts talking.

"Welcome guys and girls! First I want to say congrats on making it to the final team," he says. We clap for a moment before he starts talking again. "I know there is a lot of questions so if any has questions that have,"

"How often do we have practice?" "Almost every day."

A bunch more kids ask questions. We get our bags and team uniforms before we go over our daily practice regimen. At the end, I walk over to the coach.

"Coach?' I ask. "Yes Thalassa?" he asks.

"I have a question about the results," I ask.

He turns around and stares at me. "What," I ask.

"Are you really concerned about him? You're the best girl in the county. You're probably the best girl in the state, are you concerned about him?"

"But I need to be the best!" I say.

"I thought he played football. He was really good and was getting a scholarship, why would he mess with that?" "Why don't you ask him yourself?" he asks.

My curiosity was eating me from the inside out and I just had to find out. I hadn't spoken to him in months. I was going to prepared, no matter how awkward it got.

I go the locker room and grab my stuff to find Desmond waiting outside. "What do you want?" I ask.

"The question is what do you want?" he asks. "Why did you even join the team?" I ask. "You're so good at football, why did you quit?" 

"Who said I quit football?" he stated. "How are you going to go to football and cross country practice?" I ask. "I want to exercise my other muscles," he said.

"That doesn't explain who you are going to go to both practices," I say. "Cross Country practice is 3 to 5, football is 5:15 to 7," he says. 

"I'll be fine, but thanks for the concern Thalassa," he says. He pats me on the head and walks away. Does he think I am a puppet? A toy on his strings? A pet? I angrily walk to my car and start driving away. 

Some start for the first day of school. I get home and see everyone on the guys on the couch. "Hey Thalassa!" says Stan. "There's casserole on the stove if you want some," 

I hang my bags up and go the kitchen. I grab a plate and fork and scoop a big piece and put it on the plate. I sit down on the couch.

"What's wrong?" he asks. I'm so glad I have Stan. He cared more than Beth even wanted to. I sometimes wonder where she went. Not as much as I used to, but a lot. 

"I'm not the best," I said. They all looked confused. "I'll explain. On the result slip, I got second place," 

"What's wrong with that?" Connor asks. "You don't know who got first place," I say. "Who got first?" askes Carter.

"Desmond, he doesn't even run!" I say. "How is that possible?" questions Stan. "I don't know, I asked him and he said, I'm just exercising my other muscles! I'll be fine, but thanks for the concern Thalassa. Then he pats my head?!"  

"What did coach say?" he asked. "Don't worry about it, you're the best girl," "I think something is fishy," he says.!

*Author's Note* 🗒

I said I would get this chapter before Thanksgiving, but I never said this Thanksgiving. LOL.

Did Desmond really make the team? Where is Dustin? How's college?