You're Little and Sick and He Takes Care of You (Ashton)

Ashton (7)

     "The multiplication quiz for this week will be twos. Any questions?"

     Your teacher had been explaining your upcoming quiz, but you hadn't been paying much attention. Your head was on the desk, your arms wrapped shielding yourself from the light. You hadn't been feeling well at breakfast, but you'd let Ashton whisk you off to school, hoping that your stomach would stop bothering you as the day dragged on. 

     "Y/N? Y/N?"

     You groggily picked your head up and glanced at your teacher. "Yes?"

     "Can you lift your head up and pay attention for me?"

     You shook your head, wanting nothing more to collapse against the desk again. "I don't feel so good. My tummy hurts."

     Your teacher sighed, capping her dry erase marker. "Do you need to go see the nurse?"

     "Yes, please."

     "Come over here so I can write you a pass." She walked over to her desk and sat down. "Everyone else start working on the worksheet I passed out earlier." You forced yourself out of your chair and trudged over to her desk. "Alright, here you go. You know the way to the nurse's office right?"

     "Yes, ma'am."

     "Okay, hope you feel better soon."

     "Thank you." You walked back to your desk and grabbed your backpack.

     "Make sure you don't forget your paper, Y/N."

     You pulled out your binder and slipped your multiplication worksheet into the front pocket. You didn't even have the energy to write your name on the top of the paper, that's how out of it you were. The hallway outside was deserted. Not even the janitors were roaming around cleaning. 

     The nurse's office was on the opposite side of the school and walking there sucked. You knocked on the door, hoping your school nurse wasn't busy. 

     "Coming!" The nurse pulled open the door and looked down at you with a sad smile. She was a pretty lady with golden blonde hair. "Hey there, kiddo! Something wrong?" You handed her the pass your teacher gave you without a word. "Ah, I see. Come on in." You followed her through the door. "You can use the stepstool next to the bench next to the bed to get up. I'll be back in a second."

     You set your backpack on the floor and climbed up on the bed like she said. You wondered if she was going to let you leave school early or send you back to class. Was Ashton even home to come pick you up, though? 

     The nurse came back in with a thermometer. "Okay, I'm going to need you to raise your tongue to the roof of your mouth so I can take your temperature." You do as she says. After about a minute, she takes the thermometer out of your mouth and looks at it. She frowns. "You're temperature is too high for you to stay at school. I'll have to call your parents to pick you up."

     "Actually, I live with my brother."

     "Okay, I'll just call him then." She wheels over a small stool beside the bed. "Is there anything else you want to tell me about, kiddo? Your teacher put down that your stomach was bothering you. Do you feel like you're going to throw up?" You nodded your head. "Okay, do you know when you started feeling sick?"

     "When I woke up."

     "Do you know if you anything weird by chance?"

    "I don't think so."

     "Okay, let me go call your brother." She stood up and walked into her office, softly closing the door behind her.  

     You pulled your knees up to your chest. You feel horrible. The more time passes, the worse it gets. 

      After a few minutes, the nurse comes back into the room. "Your brother said he'd be here in fifteen minutes. I can give you some pain medicine for the stomach ache. Would you like some?"

     "Yes, please."

     She walked over to a nearby cabinet, grabbed a bottle of pills and poured water into a small paper cup. She handed the cup to you along with two small, red pills. You downed them quickly, returning to your balled up position immediately. 

     After what seemed like forever, the nurse came back in. "Y/N, sweetie, your brother is here."

    You picked your head up to see him standing next to her. "Hey, Y/N!" He waved.

     "Hi, Ash." 

     "You already signed her out at the front desk, right?"

     "Yes, ma'am." Your brother said.

    "You guys are good to go then. See if you can get her to eat something. She missed lunch."

    "What about the food poisoning?"

    "She should be fine in a few days. She just needs a lot of rest. If she doesn't feel like eating have her suck on ice chips and drink plenty of water. Make sure if she does eat it's something easy to digest."

     "Okay, thank you." Ashton walked over to your bed and picked up your backpack, swinging it over his shoulder. "Let's go, Y/N." You brought yourself to your feet and took your brother's hand. "Make sure you say thank you to the nurse."

     "Thank you."

     "Of course, sweetie. I hope you'll feel well enough to come back to school soon!"

     You followed Ashton out to his car. "I have to stop at the grocery store to pick up some rice before we head home," Ashton said as he backed the car out of the parking space. 

     "Why rice?"

     "The nurse suggested for you to eat rice because easy to digest and a whole list of other things."

     "Okay." You laid your head against the window and closed your eyes. 

    "Y/N, wake up. You need to try and eat something." Ashton was gently shaking you awake.

    You opened your eyes to find yourself lying on the living room couch, seems like Ashton carried you inside. "Okay, I'm awake." You sat up, rubbing the sleep out of your eyes.

     "Feeling any better?"

     "Not really." You sighed. Your stomach was still bothering you. Just the thought of having to eat something made you feel even more nauseous. 

     "Here." He handed you a bowl of seasoned rice. Ashton usually doesn't allow food in the living room. He must be feeling nice today. "There's a cup of ice chips on the table next to you if you want it." He grabs the TV remote and sits down next to you. "Anything you feel like watching?"

     You shook your head. "Not really." You lifted a spoonful of rice out of the bowl with a grimace. The food looked delicious. Ashton had always been a good cook, but the smell of it all made you incredibly nauseous. 

     Ashton grabbed his own bowl of rice off the coffee table, looking over at you with a sad smile. "You've got to at least try to eat."

     You sighed. "I know."

    "You probably got sick because of me. I must've not cooked something well enough."

     "What do you mean?"

     "The nurse said you got food poisoning from something you ate. I'll have to be way more careful next time."

    "I don't think it was your fault, Ash."

    Your brother flashed you a smile. "We'll go out for ice cream when you're feeling better." 

AN: Feel free to drop some suggestions for preferences down in the comments if you'd like. Thanks for reading!