The Evening That Changed Everything: Part 5

Start from the beginning

Catching up with the car, Helen rapped at the trunk with her right hand. Her ring hit the metallic body of the car with a loud clang.

The car stopped.

Helen opened the back door and got in, panting heavily. Londhe was sitting in the front seat, driving. There was no one else in the car. Helen closed the door, and sat in the seat without resting her back, lest her wings got soiled.

"Roll up the window, and don't speak a word," said Londhe, looking at Helen through the rear-view mirror.

Passing through the compound gate, the car swerved onto the road and raced away, paying little heed to the holes and bumps on the road. Closing her eyes, Helen held the left side of her head with her left hand, grimacing with pain at each jerk. The car hurtled along at express speed.

Several minutes passed.

Helen opened her eyes and glanced at the rear-view mirror. Londhe seemed to be looking straight ahead. With an extremely slow, surreptitious movement, Helen moved her right hand under her tutu and held still.

The car turned and approached a short tunnel built to allow trains to pass overhead.

Helen steeled herself.

As the car entered the tunnel, there was sudden darkness in the car.

Helen whipped out the knife and held it to Londhe's neck. Londhe squawked with a start.

"This is very sharp. I have cuts all over my abdomen."

The car emerged from the tunnel, and Londhe looked into the rear-view mirror, aghast.

"If you move an inch, I'll plunge this entire blade inside you. I don't care if we both die."

Londhe didn't move.

"Move your left hand up very slowly, and twist the rear-view mirror, so you can't see my reflection."

Londhe didn't react.

"I'll count to three," said Helen, increasing the pressure on the knife. Londhe writhed in agony.

"One..." said Helen. Londhe held up her left hand and twisted the rear-view mirror.

"More! I shouldn't be able to see your face in it!" snarled Helen.

Londhe twisted the rear-view mirror further, and moved her head around slightly.

"Don't move!"

Londhe complied.

"Now take the Mumbai route."

"Are you crazy?! The only way to go to Mumbai is through Agriwada! You'll get us both killed!" pleaded Londhe.

Helen turned the knife slightly. Londhe winced in pain. "We'll have to pass Bhau's office!"

"Make the turn," ordered Helen, increasing the pressure.

"God help us," Londhe said, making the turn.

"And avoid the bumps-I'm suffering from a migraine attack."

After traveling for nearly a kilometer, the look of the streets changed significantly. The car passed large political banners and pennants with a loud blue color scheme with the message "Vote for Bhau." A stench of dried fish pervaded the air for a while.

Londhe made another turn, maneuvering the car along a deserted, narrow road.

Upon watching the car, a solitary group of people seated on chairs on the sidewalk sprang to their feet and started giving chase, hooting deliriously.