Chapter 23 -- Assemblé

Assemblé(ah-sahm-blay') To put together, to make a jump from one foot then landing on both feet.

.
.
.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.
.
.
It was Saturday morning and Travis left early for gym. I decided to stay at my Mom's old home at Blue Ridge in QC. I was rummaging around in the fridge, pulling out an orange juice and then pouring myself a healthy glass, taking it with me. With my foot on the coffee table on my living room,
I skimmed the article on People's Magazine with interest while my fingers busily typed on my phone, not even aware of what I was doing until after I'd hit send. I gripped the phone in a panic, staring at the text message, wondering if there was a way to recall it.

Oh, well. He probably won't even see it, I thought shakily, hoping he had the habit of barely remembering to check his phone, much less notice text messages.

Telling myself to forget it, I searched for more articles as I drummed my hands on the table.. Caught up in my reading, when my phone rang I answered it without looking at the caller ID.

"Nikki?"

I jumped to my feet and looked around the room. His voice was so rich, so real, it felt like he was next to me.

"Darren?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, sounding amused. "Uh, you did just text me...right?"

"Oui. I did," I said slowly. "I didn't expect you to notice it, I guess - at least not for a few days."

He laughed awkwardly and there was a long pause.

"It's been weeks." He sounded just the same. Maybe we could do this, be friends. Or at least keep in touch. "I've heard from Liz, that you and Travis are back together. How have you been?" he asked.

"Yeah" I said. "Well, I'm—we're ---good but I haven't told him yet about.. you know, our little plan before"

"Oh" He said. Another uncomfortable silence. I bunched the hem of my shirt in my hand nervously. "I hope you don't mind, I wanted to come clean with Liz so I told her about it"

"That explains the squealing and that tight hug I got when I saw her that Thursday morning. I had lunch with her in Brasserie Girolle. She's blooming and I know by then, you're making her happy. I'm glad"

"Thanks." he said warmly "We're still keeping it under wraps tho'... you know, andon pa rin ang great wall" I heard him sigh

"But at least, this time, you guys will fight the battle together.It'll be worth it"

"I hope so" He suddenly seemed to come to his senses. "and oh, Nik.. if you don't want to tell Trav about it, it's okay. Better that way if it makes you comfortable,"

"Merci. Well, about that." I swallowed hard, struggling to predict what Darren's reaction is might be to the news. "Kaya now lang ako nagcall is because of Travis"

"Oh, lover boy's a little possessive, I see" I could picture his eyes crinkling up, wondered if he was reclining in his chair as he spoke.

I laughed "Yeah.. sort of"

"So Travis and you ..huh?" Darren drawled. "Might as well tell me everything, you know.. since it's my plan which brought you together and all"

"Taking all the credit, Darren.. that's not really nice"

"I don't think I even like to play nice" I heard him whispered which made me grip the phone so tightly my fingers began cramping. "So tell me" He said