Chapter 9 -- Port de bras

Port de bras
A movement or series of movements made by passing the arm or arms through various positions. The passage of the arms from one position to another constitutes a port de bras. n the execution of port de bras the arms should move from the shoulder and not from the elbow and the movement should be smooth and flowing. The arms should be softly rounded so that the points of the elbows are imperceptible and the hands must be simple, graceful and never flowery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked in the floor length mirror behind the door and sighed. I couldn't believe the woman looking back at me was myself. The evening gown, molded against my own body showing off my curves and I had my hair done up in curls and up off my neck.

The dress was a rich sapphire color with some gold detailing around the bodice area and along the bottom. The bodice fit snugly over my torso and flared gracefully just below my waist.

It was floor length and had a wide neckline, with straps that just sat on the outside curves of my shoulders. It had been an incredibly extravagant purchase the year before but I figured it was elegant and simple enough that I could get more than one use out of it. The accessories I had matched perfectly

I kept checking my phone, hoping Travis would somehow beep me up or even just send me a smiley instead but no. My phone felt emptier than ever and so is myself

"Nikki', it's been too long." I laughed as Elaine's best imitation of her Jersey drawl still managed to sound somewhat refined. "You look like you need a good kick in your bum, Nikki.. Red Bull and Vodka, on the house. By the way, " She wiggled her eyebrows mischievously as she nodded towards the Bar "the girls look good tonight."

The sommelier, Ted, appears with the selection, pours a tiny amount in the bottom of one of the crystal goblets.

Dennis takes it up with a flourish, sniffs, eyes closed, smiles, takes a tiny sip rolls it around his tongue and cheeks, finally swallows. "Very, very nice Ted, as you said, quite a nice dryness for a Liebfraumilch." I reached to fill my glass before Ted would go about refilling Dennis', places the bottle in a table side ice bucket and retires.

Ted raises his glass to everyone. "To new and positive beginnings."

I smiled broadly. "Amen," I said and drunk the wine

For a few minutes, we enjoy the wine, said nothing. It was Hearts and Cupcakes' 3rd anniversary but was only my first time to celebrate with the gang. Elaine was at the peak of her third trimester and it's nice to see how Ted really handled her like a fragile glass. It was sweet

It was actually kind of adorable that he was so protective,. I knew it was going to be a great night based on the mood everyone was in.

Elaine was a big drinker back in the days but tonight she settled for a fruit juice. She raised her four-season drinks at me and smiled.

I could only return a timid smile at her for my eyes were looking for something.. or more specifically .. someone.

Sure, I'm not in a place to expect he'll ,at least have the decency, to ask me out to be his date tonight. But it was hard not to do so when he's all giving me mix signals especially the other day...

Looking over I saw Travis still fast asleep. His face relaxed, he looked so good I had to pull my hand away to keep from touching him. As quietly as I could

I didn't know what he wanted from me or what to expect. I loved having him in my bed, he knew that much but further than that I was unsure. No man had me this turned around ever.