He had a point. Jiwon pressed her lips into a thin line and inhaled deeply before releasing it in one breath. She averted her gaze outside the window.

"I don't even know what I'm running away from anymore." She chuckled humorlessly. "Hey stranger, what's your name?"

"Why'd you only ask now?"

"Well, I'll admit I kind of tried to find out, but I didn't find anything." She shot him a meaningful look.

"So you snooped over my things?"

"Just a little," she admitted, concealing the sheepishness in her voice. "Then I went to sleep again. Come to think of it, you should also be careful who you leave in your apartment. Those chandeliers and furniture looked pretty expensive."

"A lady like you doesn't seem to fit in that category."

"That's true," she mused, a grin breaking on her lips. "I'm too pretty to be suspected of any crime."

"More like too reckless to even pull off a successful attempt," he mocked.

She scoffed in disdain and rolled her eyes. "I'm capable of a lot of things, you must know. Also, you haven't told me your name yet."

"Don't you think it's better to not know?" He slid her a glance. "That way we'd be complete strangers until the end."

Shit.

Jiwon could hardly get her thoughts straight as she pulled on the stranger's arm, panic written all over her face. How come she had not thought this through? How could she be dense to not find anything suspicious.

Not even a tad bit?

When this certain stranger had informed her about needing a date, perhaps she should have questioned further about the specifics of this so-called 'dinner date'.

"Don't tell me you're backing away now."

"I'm telling you, let's go out now if you don't want to regret." She tugged on the stranger's arm, movements growing stiff as the apprehension built up.

"I thought we're clear about this?" He held on her hand, loosening her strong grip.

"You got it all wrong, look—"

"Am I seeing this right?" A middle-aged woman blinked at them with wide eyes, disbelief lingering on her words. Her attention went towards Jiwon, who then refused to make any eye contact.

Ah. This was exactly the expression he had been expecting.

"I hope you understand what this means." He intertwined their hands, showing it to his mother, and Jiwon couldn't help but cringe and had this urge to melt away from her spot.

"Hey, stop it," Jiwon hissed, retracting her hand away from him.

Her feet were tingling to dash out at any given point. She was so ready to run.

So if she had to fight her way out, she wouldn't hesitate. She angled her free arm, gathering as much force to gather the strength to push him away.

But he wouldn't allow that. He simply hid the fact that he was annoyed with how she was protesting out of nowhere.

"Jiwon?"

Kim Jiwon pressed her fingers on her forehead whilst she drew a long breath out.

She was done for.

Perhaps her still clouded head overlooked what she should've paid attention to.

Firstly, when she had deemed this guy familiar as if it weren't the first time she had seen him, she hadn't been wrong. Jiwon remembers chancing upon his face printed on the cover of a prestigious business magazine one time.

Secondly, her memory brought her back to last week, when her secretary had handed her the dinner invitation with two surnames intricately embossed at the back.

Min and Kim.

And then it all suddenly clicked.

But it was fucking too late.

She hung her head low, shutting her eyes tight, and bit on her lower lip. A stream of curses flooded her mind.

Just what the hell is this?

"Oh? This is unexpected."

With the new voice approaching, Jiwon balled her free hand to a fist.

Meanwhile, the guy beside her grew confused with every passing second. Suddenly, he wasn't in control of the situation anymore just as he had planned. His gaze went back and forth between the unfamiliar woman and Jiwon.

"M-Mother." A wry smile broke onto her lips followed by a rather shaky laugh as she lifted her head at none other than Kim Seulhee.

And when she met her brother's hard, demanding gaze, she swallowed hard, wishing the ground would do the same to her.

Mother? Min Yoongi's eyes widened by a fraction. Now it was his turn to wonder what in the world was just happening.

"My, my," Min Hyo gushed. "We were just talking about how the two of you always back out and play your own antics every time we arranged something."

"Am I not getting something here?" Yoongi whispered, his voice hinting he was downright annoyed. He didn't specifically liked being clueless.

The man who Jiwon now recognized as Min Yoongi—Min fucking Yoongi—threw her a pensive look as everyone around them seemed to have received some sort of miracle.

But all the noise was blurred out from Jiwon's ears. All she could think of was: Fuck. This is really Min Yoongi.

"I guess we can finally breathe and be at peace," joked one of the fathers. The respectable Min Dongwook.

Jiwon had to prevent her hand from slapping her face. Why did their parents have to be here anyway? Usually, it was just her and whoever they set her up with.

But the thing was, with both families knowing how their children acted, they had to take precautions for this single arrangement.

After all, both lineage were influential and atop the industry. They weren't necessarily competitors, but they weren't allies as well. Had they been competitors, it would be a tight match, and had they been allies, they'd be close to being indestructible.

That being considered, neither would risk a misunderstanding, and at this moment, it actually seemed like both families were ready to pave their path to domination.

"Shall we get dinner started then?"

— ✿ —
this plot idea first visited my mind like three or four years ago, and it had recently made a comeback, so I just kind of really have to write it. let's see how this one goes (and wait until it gradually turns into a crack fic — hAH!) anyways, thank you for reading and do tell me what you think! 😉❞