Reading 'Start of a Long Journey' | part 2

Last time...

Machai turned around to look at Cadok who was leaning on the door frame and said, "I really appreciate what you're doing." He looked back around the room and sighed happily. "It's been a while since I had a solid roof over my head to sleep under." Machai's attention returned to the bed missing Cadok's changed facial expression.

Now...

Many of the gods and demigods suddenly found themselves staring down at the marble floor. What's so fascinating about the floor?

Cadok was about to say it was no big deal before Machai added that second part. At first he was a little stunned with the sudden declaration, but he soon killed about Machai with a sad smile. He thought about his own life, and having to basically live off the streets and fend for himself. He rarely ever had a roof over his head so he knew exactly what it was like to be offered a roof to sleep under. He also knew what it was like to be so young and have to deal with the streets. Judging by Machai's voice, he would put him to be around his late teens or early twenties and nobody should have to deal with those problems at that age.

"Dear, you will always have a place to go to from now on. There will always be a place for you by the hearth." Hestia warmly said to Cadok, who looked at her graciously and nodded but said nothing.

Cadok's sad smile turned into a determined smile. He would make sure Machai had a place to get his bearings straight and not have to worry about a place to live while he finds work. He would take care of him and provide to the best of his ability. He would also have to teach Machai everything he needed to know about the universe since he's from Earth. Cadok switched to a pleased smile as Machai turned around. "It's no problem. Make yourself at home. The bathroom is down the hall to the left and my room is right across from yours should you need anything. I don't think I️ have any clothes that will fit you so we can go shopping tomorrow to buy you clothes and anything else you may need."

"SHOPPING!!! I️ wonder what different types of clothes they have in space..." Some Aphrodite kids said. Although they have changed from being fashion crazed to being more serious, habits do die hard.

Machai was a little shocked at the 'make yourself at home' part but quickly recovered. "Thank you again." He gave a big yawn. "And I️ really appreciate all the help you've given me." The bed beside Machai was looking comfier and comfier and Machai soon found himself climbing on the bed just to see if it felt like clouds because it sure looked like it. However, right when Machai's head hit the pillow, he was out like a rock.

"Well, I'll tell you this. My cloud bed is the softest thing ever. You all should get one. The only downside is that you might fall through it. You know, I once fell through it to land in the middle of the set of a music video. I got a staring role in it! There was also this other time where I landed in-" Apollo was cut off by a jab from his sister dearest.

"Stop being a male and woman up!" Artemis and her hunters said in unison. That was all recorded by yours truly and spread on the Olympic news channel.

Cadok quietly chuckled and strode his way over to the bed. He debated if he should remove the cloak and mask to make sleeping more comfortable but quickly dismissed the idea. There was a reason Machai was wearing the mask and it was Machai's right to choose when to remove it. Cadok didn't want to lose the growing trust with such a simple mistake. He did, however, remove his swords strapped to his waist and the knives across his chest. As he watched over the sleeping figure, he got lost in thought wondering if Machai would actually like to stay with him. Cadok didn't have anybody else living with him and he didn't really invite many people over. They could have a nice, quiet life together with just the two of them. That's what Machai wanted right? A new home and a new start. But who would want to live with an intergalactic bus driver? He frowned at he thought. But, for some reason, when Cadok told Machai he was an intergalactic bus driver, he didn't look disapproving like everybody else. In fact, he actually looked intrigued.

"My son would never judge you, Cadok. He will be overjoyed when you ask." Hestia said. Cadok brightened briefly at her encouragement, but then deflated, to the suspicion and concern of others.

Hope sprung in Cadok's chest at the prospect of Machai choosing to live with him. He could become Machai's guardian and ... He paused his train of thought. It would just be like a father and son. He never knew his father or mother and wished he had one his entire life. Cadok could be that figure in Machai's life if Machai wanted him to be. He leaned down and pushed some of Machai's hair sticking out from under his hood off his mask and wished him goodnight.

"Now, that is an ideal parent figure many people in this room could learn from you Cadok." Here said, while looking towards most of the gods. Although, most of the gods were staring pointedly at her.

Cadok silently left the room and shut the door leaving only a crack. He slowly made his way into his bedroom and quickly changed into his night clothes and laid down on his bed. He got lost in thought thinking about what the future could hold and the mysteries of life that can change at a moment's notice. He fell asleep dreaming up a life where Machai and him were sitting on a couch in the living room watching TV as a father and son.

"That sounds like a lovey dream. Oh, I am glad that he's found someone who cares for him." Hestia said. The grey figure wiped something from his face but it went unnoticed except by all except for one person.

An alarm by Cadok's head went off and jerked Cadok awake. He looked on his dresser and saw that it was the alarm signaling someone was at the front door. He looked at his alarm clock and saw it was only 2:00 A.M. 'Who the heck knocks at 2:00!' Cadok thought. He got out of bed grumbling about stupid people and put on a T-shirt. His mood didn't improve much as he slowly made his way to the door.

"That is me every. single. day. of. the. week!" Every guy in the room said. Then there was a pillow fight, more popcorn dumped on Leo and the world was blown up. Fun.

He looked at the screen showing who was outside the door and saw a man standing there on his V-Pad. He didn't really look like a salesperson, but if he was ... Cadok didn't stay on that train of thought. He opened the door enough for the man to see most of Cadok's body but not inside and looked at he man standing there. He had a cloak like Machai's without the hood drawn up showing off his pale complexion and midnight black hair. He had a defined chin and cheekbones and he smiled at Cadok. However, when Cadok looked into his eyes, he saw a flicker of something that told him to not let his guard down.

"You should never, ever, let your guard down." Ares said, while menacingly sharpening a battle axe.

The mans looked at his V-Pad, then back at him and said, "We are looking for a guy named Machai. He was last seen at the Pits and we have been looking for him. We would like to offer him a once in a lifetime deal." Cadok was suspicious of this man but didn't give any recognition in his facial features because anything related to the Pits usually wasn't a good sign. Cadok said, "Sorry, I don't recognize the name. What did he do?" The man was still smiling at him and it started to unnerve him.

The man said, "That is classified information." Cadok narrowed his eyes and grew a little frustrated. "Sorry, you must have the wrong hou ..." All of the sudden, he was pulled from behind and let out a loud shout to hopefully wake up Machai. The guy from the door punched him in the gut and the guy who grabbed him held a knife to his throat right as Machai sprinted out of his room.

Cries of outrage filled the throne room, and many people desperately wanted to get out of their seats to go hug Cadok. The grey figure was clenching his hands and fidgeting in his seat, not wanting to hear what would come next.

"There you are," one of the men said. "We've been looking to pay you back for killing our leader."
______________________________________________________

Hello! As someone pointed out, it has been another 2 months...for the billionth time, I know. Really, one of my resolutions for the new year should've been to update more often but eh! That one would've been broken on the first day! Anyways, hope you guys had a great new year and whatever you may celebrate, and please don't kill me!!!!!

P.S. - Any suggestions for when I reveal the grey person to the gods and demigods?
P.P.S. - If you have to kill me, kill me while I'm getting a shot.
P.P.P.S. - ...I like sleeping