Reading 'A Spark of Hope' | part 1

Last time...

The two left right after and the fighters somehow held their laughs in until the brute stormed out the door to the arena. Right when he was out of earshot, the fighters burst out laughing. The topic of conversation of the brutes was how the kid had a little fun before he was killed. At the other end of the room, the smarter fighters didn't know who would win. They knew the brute was stronger but Machai was defiantly smarter and was a complete unknown which means he could have no skills or many. And in a 1 on 1 match, as long as the smarter one has at least some skill, they will most likely win.

Now...

"Ahhh, statistics. Now, let's think this through thoroughly. The probability of the smarter fighter winning would be-"

"ATHENA!!!" Poseidon yelled, "Don't you dare rip away my baby's lack of education in anything from The Little Mermaid" Poseidon clutched his stuffed animals close, covering their ears-wait, what ears?!?

The five minute journey to the arena went by in relative silence with both Zade and Machai trapped in their own thoughts. Every once in a while, Zade would cast side glances at Machai trying to see any emotion to reveal how he would compete in the upcoming match. Judging by Machai's smooth walk and posture, Zade could tell Machai showed no fear facing off against the top guy in that tier. However, Zade knew looks could be very deceiving so he still had some doubts about the results of the match even if he was leaning towards Machai.

Machai just strolled along next to Zade as he thought about how the match would be and how he should fight. Machai could tell by only one look what kind of fighter that brute was so he didn't think there was even the slightest chance of him losing. However, he knew nothing of their species which meant the brute could have some special ability to put him at the top of the tier. It would also be his first fight with a being outside of Earth and there was no way of telling what kind of fighting style he would have to face. Machai would defiantly have to be careful when battling with him.

"Yes! The element of surprise, always good when on a hunt.." Artemis trailed off, as everyone was looking at her as though she was weird. She clearly WASN'T weird! Rubbing your hands together and acting as though taking over the world isn't considered to be weird, much less crazy or evil!

A wooden double door appeared at the end of the hallway ending the short walk. It defiantly wasn't anything special since it had splinters sticking out like someone threw knives at it all day long from the other side. Zade led Machai to the doors and opened them up and Machai was a little surprised with the arsenal arrayed before him. It was a weapons master's paradise. There were all kinds of weapons littering the wall in a semi-organized manner and about a fourth of them were new to him. There were all sorts of weapons to choose from ranging from knives all the way to battle worn axes. There were also many long ranged weapons such as slings and bow and arrows. Some weapons were in better condition than others which didn't surprise Machai.

"Ahh, a new project, joy." Ares snapped his fingers, "Now all their weapons are in pristine condition, NOW KILL EACH OTHER!!!! MWAHAHAHAH!!!" Ares cackled, eager for some bloodshed.

After Zade let Machai glance around the room, he said, "Since this is your first fight, I'll allow you to choose any number of weapons. Usually I would only allow you two types of weapons but I want to see how you do at your best. You can also use your own personal weapons if so wish. In about 30 minutes I will call the competitors out onto the field and you will battle it out. Once I call, you will go through those double doors into the arena." Zade pointed to slightly better looking doors. "All clear?"

Machai gave a nod to him and Zade quickly left to finish up preparations for the fight to come. Zade closed the doors behind him and Machai could see why the doors looked so bad on the other side. On this side, he could tell the door was used for throwing practice for all sorts of weapons, even if they weren't meant to be thrown.

"I believe this is a great target, although admittedly it's not supposed to be used in this manner, but it'll do." Artemis said, as she was attempting to throw some knives at her dearest brother's head. "STOP TELEPORTING AROUND THE ROOM SO I CAN KILL YOU!!" Such love.

Machai paused through the weapons to see if anything interested him. He tried out a couple of swords deciding to duel wield this match. He luckily practiced all forms of fighting with every weapon he could find. So, he was at least decent with every type of weapon even though he still excelled whenever it came to swords, single or duel wield . After finding a sword that was as close to balanced as he would get, he went over to the throwing knives section and found a few knives that were in good enough condition and would at least throw straight.

"HA! Imagine if you aimed for your opponent's heart but instead it hit their eyeball, hahahahahah.......!!!!" Ares was now clutching his stomach because he was laughing so much at the thought. (Think like in POTC Ragetti! (When the fork got stuck in his eyeball😉) )

After strapping on a belt with the knives and a scabbard for his new sword, he started to look at and try the new weapons he knew nothing about. After the thirty minutes was up, Machai heard Zade's voice through the doors announcing the fight between Brutus and Machai. The crowd quickly erupted into a frenzy of cheers ready for a fight filled with blood and gore. Machai rolled his eyes before striding over to the door already knowing this wasn't going to be a fight like that. Even if this Brutus guy was a skilled fighter, Machai would use his abilities to prevent himself from dying and discreetly win the match, even if he didn't like the cheating method.

Machai's double doors opened at the same time the doors at the opposite side of the ring revealing Brutus with just a big, honking axe. He had no armor and basically just glared at Machai. After giving Machai a pretty pitiful sneer, he put on a superior look and stepped out into the arena. The crowd instantly cheered and some chanted his name. Brutus reveled in the cheers and threw his hands up accepting the praise.

"Hey! Why does he get all the fans! We're so much cooler, awesomer, and hotter!" Leo and Apollo cried in outrage, then they looked at each other and said, "Are you my long lost twin?!", at the same time. "BROTHER!!" They threw themselves at the other, crying as they were overwhelmed by finding their equally amazing twin.

Machai rolled his eyes and walked into the arena too. He had a pretty good idea how the crowds would react to him and it turned out exactly how he thought it would. Right when he walked out, the crowds went silent until the first laugh could be heard. That in turn opened up the flood gates and the whole audience started laughing. The crowds were pretty excited for the newcomer because they heard how he bad mouthed Brutus and embarrassed him in front of all the other fighters. However, when they saw small little Machai, they couldn't hold in their laughter. They knew without a doubt that the small fighter was about to be creamed and were looking forward to the slaughter. Machai just ignored it and waited for Zade to start the match.
______________________________________________________
Hey guys! Long time no see, eh? So, I want your opinion on some stuff. I was wondering if I should pull in any characters from The Returning Legend, like Cadok or Layla for example. Also, if Percy should come in and if so when, if he should have a relationship in this and if so who it would be with, those type of things. As well as if you guys wanted any specific character to react more and such. I may take suggestions and make them a reality in the story, or maybe I'll go rouge and author-ish and spin my wheel of who to doom with Persassy, need I say more? Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, and I'll see you guys in the next one!