Reading 'New Beginnings' | part 1

Last time...

Percy looked at the bus driver with barely contained laughter and said, "Lol, now you're five lols richer" and he burst out laughing.

Now...

"Where are my lols, peoples? Where are my lols?!" Leo and his beanbag were pinned to the wall behind him by a dagger, thrown by one man-hating woman.

After getting over his shock that the kid handed him a drachma, money of Chaos, he thought unless the kid rode the bus over 100 times, he'd be making a big profit. "Hey kid," he began, "so I am honest to my word and plan to keep this deal but are you going to use this bus a lot?" 'Please say no, please say no' the driver hoped.

The unseen figure in the shadows of Hades' throne scoffed at this and rolled their eyes.

Percy laughed at his expression. "Probably not. Like I said I want to start a new life so I probably will only use this bus if I really need it. I just wanted to make sure I always have a way around the universe if I ever need it."

"He's actually VERY smart, wonder if he could bring up his grades on his report cards in school now..." Athena muttered. Oh Athena, of course you would be concerned about his education, only you.

The bus driver grinned from ear to ear thinking how much of a profit he was making and decided he should probably be a little nicer to this boy. "So kid, what's your name?" Percy paused for a second thinking. Since he was starting a new life, he should also have another name to wipe the slate clean and start over.

"That makes me think about those old chalkboard slates, ya know?" Suddenly Leo received a chalkboard with a drawing of him with his hair set on fire drawn in chalk. He signed it and then kissed his drawings' lips.

The bus driver sat there for a second wondering if Earth people do have names or not.

'No, it's like, we don't have names. We're all nameless, we just say, 'Hey you over there! No, you! Yes, you!'' 'George, that's nonsense, don't even think about that, it'll mess up your non-existent brain.'

Percy held his chin in a thoughtful manner and replied, "No one has asked me for my name in 4 years." Percy had been on the constant run and monsters don't really ask for demigods' names while they were trying to kill them. It was usually like 'There you are' then attack.

True true.

The bus driver thought, 'loner.' But now that he was really looking at the boy, he looked pretty beat up. His clothes were torn to shreds and his arms were covered with scars like he was tortured or something. He had no doubt that under his clothes would most likely reveal even more scars.

Courtesy of our resident primordial Tartarus and co.

He was brought out of his thoughts when Percy said, "I guess since I'm starting a new life I should also get a new name."

Hestia's face looked slightly scared, her little baby was going to change his name? Loose his identity? Nooo! The world's doomed to end!

The bus driver shrugged and said, "If you say so." He wasn't keen on asking what his past life entailed because it was none of his business and he really didn't want to know how he got those scars. The scars actually reminded him of the brutes in the tournaments he used to watch and he couldn't imagine this kid fighting in the area for a living.

"That's basically what we demigods do everyday though, so yeah. No biggie." Nico suddenly spoke up. No, he's no the figure in the shadows, just so you know. The figure's waiting for the right time to reveal himself...

Percy sat there in the front row thinking of what would be a good name. He wanted it to be a Greek name so he never forgot his heritage even though they all hate him and betrayed him. He wanted to help people around the galaxy. He wanted to be known as the defender of the people, their protector. He wanted to fight for the people. The name just popped into his head.

"But Percy! We don't hate you!" Annabeth cried out. Well hey, at least he came up with a Greek name.

Percy took in a deep breath and said, "My name is Machai Alewar." The bus driver looked at the boy ... Machai and thought 'what a strange name.'

He voiced his thoughts, "I've never heard of that before. Does it have a meaning or something?" The bus driver had taken an interest into this mysterious boy. It's not everyday an earthling kid with a mask and beat up clothes just walked onto a bus. He wanted to ask what his old name was but he could tell Machai wouldn't tell him and he defiantly didn't want a backstory to come with the name.

Percy ... no Machai said, "Machai is a spirit of fighting and combat and Alewar means guard of all. I want to use my skills to help protect people of the galaxy." Yes, Machai knew that would be his plan. He would always strive to protect those who don't possess the power to do so. He would scour the universe and fight for what he believed was right.

"Isn't that what Percy was always doing?" Leo asked. He got small nods in return.

Now. The bus driver wanted to laugh at how is little boy was going to defend the people of the galaxy but he was, however, surprised to hear true conviction in the boy's voice. When he looked into his eyes, he saw some things he would have never guessed he would see in the eyes of someone so young. They looked so sad and dead yet possess determination and strength in character. They were the eyes of a seasoned warrior who had seen many battles and lost much. He was also captivated by Machai's captivating, swirling green eyes with bright orange flecks in them. He would have to keep and eye out for any word on Machai to see if he made anything of himself.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! So sorry for the very, very, very late update...now hold on! Don't be like Rapunzel and bonk me on the head with an iron pan-OW! Geez, that hurt!

Sorry that this chapter is so short, I'm already working on the next one though, so fear not!

Hope you guys enjoyed he update and expect one soon to make up for all the time I've kept you guys waiting.