Episode Fifteen - Playing House

Start from the beginning

Sebastian scoffed. "Em, we're not that different. I'm scared of getting hurt... it's left me..." He stopped and I watched as his hands tightened around the steering wheel.

Fear stopped me from delving further, I didn't want to rock the boat more than we already had. Our friendship was on the line, and I wasn't willing to put it at risk again. I'd rather live in fear, than live without Sebastian again. I fell asleep at some point during the trip, because I woke to Sebastian rocking me gently, the car was stopped and we were underground.

"We're here sleepy head." He soothed.

"I fell asleep." I whispered, surprised by the fact.

"You did."

"Not much of a road trip buddy then am I." I huffed, straightening myself up in the car seat.

"You were tired.... And maybe a little hungover."

I smiled and shrugged. "Perhaps."

Sebastian pulled his keys from the ignition and unclipped his seatbelt. I followed suit, removing the seatbelt from around my torso and opening the car door. Sebastian popped the trunk and lifted my case out first, then his. We walked across the underground carpark to a elevator positioned in the center. Sebastian placed his wallet against it, and the red 'up' light turned green. It took around 20 seconds for the doors to open, we stepped inside and Sebastian pressed the button for floor 15. We were silent as the elevator began its ascent. It seemed to be taking an age to move, when in reality I knew that it wasn't really going slow at all. I stole a sideways glance at Sebastian who seemed a million miles away, like something was bothering him. I went to ask him what was wrong, but the doors opened on the 15th floor and my voice disappeared. I followed Sebastian through the corridors, passing three other doors along the way. Finally at the end of the sparsely decorated, yet beautiful hall we stopped in front of apartment number 30. Sebastian's keys jingled in his hand as he searched for the right one, once he found it he slid it into the lock and pushed the door open.

"Mi casa es su casa." He exclaimed throwing his keys into cane bowl on a white glass table to his right. I looked up and smiled. Sebastians apartment was like his room on grown up steroids. The Marvel posters and comic books were now framed artworks, the black and white monochrome detailings of the pillows and blankets of his room back home translated to his entire furniture set. It had a minimalist feel, but when I took the time to look beyond the surface I could see pieces of him woven through it.

"Nice place." I murmured. "Very you."

Sebastian smiled as he turned to look at me. "Glad you like it. Let me show you to your room."

Sebastian led me through his apartment, He stopped outside a door and pushed it open. The room was warm and like the rest of his place had accents of him all over the place. I pulled my case into the room and gazed around. Right away I noticed a photo of myself, standing on the pier. One I had never seen before, one I didn't know had been taken. I walked to the wall and grazed my hand over the glass.

"When was this taken?"

"Two days before I left for college." Sebastian whispered.

"I look carefree." I replied, my voice sadder than I wanted it to be.

"You were." he said. "That's why I had it framed. It reminded me of happy times."

I tried not to dwell on it, but looking at the photo hurt, because I hadn't felt like I did in that moment in such a long time. I looked down and bit my lip as I sat down on the bed.

"Thanks. Uh, I'll be okay if you want to head off. I'm kind of tired so I might sleep some more."

Sebastian nodded and walked backwards to the door. "I'll only be a couple of hours. I'll bring back a New York pizza."