Episode Two - Not Your Problem

I spent the rest of the day catching up on the housework. Having a non functioning alcoholic mother and working almost every available hour meant the house was generally in a state of disorganization. By the time it was nearing 5 pm I needed to have another shower. I made sure to put on a nice top with my best jeans before applying the most minimal amount of makeup on my face. I was walking out of my room when my groggy mother walked out of hers.

She was looked up at me and shot me a half smile. "You look beautiful dear. Heading out?"

"Just to dinner... will you be okay?" I murmured. She looked the most coherent I'd seen her in days. I hated that I was hopeful it would stay that when when I knew eventually I'd feel let down.

"Of course dear. I'm just going to have a shower and go back to bed. I'm feeling under the weather."

I smiled and nodded. "I'll check on you when I get home."

She nodded back as she walked down the hallway, using the wall to keep her steady. She may have been basically sober, but the heavy alcohol use had left her frail. I fought the urge to cancel my plans and left her alone... knowing full well what I was likely to return to.

I left the house and walked down the driveway and onto the pavement. There was an unrecognisable car in the driveway, my heart skipped a few beats. He was already here. I walked up the path toward the house I had once known so well. Truth was, I hadn't been back in the longest time. As much as Anne offered, I never really accepted.

I took a deep breath before lifting my hand to knock on the hardwood door. I rapped my knuckles against the dark stained wood three times before stepping back and lacing my fingers together. The sound of voices from inside the house grew louder, until I finally heard the click of the lock. Anne opened the door and smiled so wide it touched her eyes. She placed her hand on mine and gently pulled me into the house. "Emelia, you look so beautiful. Thank you for coming."

"Thank you..." I stopped and gazed at her floral dress. It clung to curves in ways I could only be jealous of. Anne had always been stunning, so had Ted... so had Sebastian. "You do too."

"Come, Sebastian and Julianne were just telling us how they met."

Julianne. Her name was perfect, and maybe it was just misplaced jealousy but I scowled at the fact that she was probably perfect too. I followed Anne into the foyer of the house, the sound of laughter carried down the hall toward us. I couldn't remember the last time I had laughed, the mere sound of it seemed so foreign these days. I fought the urge to run, to return to my life of misery. I needed to remember that I had once been happy.

"Sebastian, looks who is here to see you!" Anne exclaimed, as she grabbed my hand. She pulled me forward, into the dining room. I didn't want to look up, but I couldn't look down either so I forced myself to focus on the only person who had ever truly understood me. He hadn't changed as much as I had expected him too. Sure he seemed broader, and his face had the beginning of a five o'clock shadow... but his eyes were still the same mixture of green and amber, capable of hypnotising me with just one glance. His smile hadn't changed either, I watched it as it grew on his face, widening until it hit the corners of his eyes. He stood up and said my name, my nickname, the name only he called me.

"Em." He exclaimed, walking around the table. "It's so good to see you."

I smiled back, even though it was forced... I was still genuinely happy. Seb pulled me into a hug, crossing into my personal space as though he had never left it. The nostalgia was warm and it covered me like a blanket. I wanted to stay in the moment forever, but eventually Seb moved backward.