Chapter 1

The icy cold air snaked its way around your body, restricting your warmth and making you shudder. Your hand instinctively lurched to grab your open jacket and zip it up, regaining a small slither of warmth in the process. You kept marching your way through the well known fields that resigned behind your suburban house, the frosty grass carpet crunching beneath your black leather boots. The wind suddenly picked up and sent a wild gust of freezing air in your direction, you quickly hooked your fur hood over your head in response, swiftly regaining your shape: hands fixed firmly in your jacket pocket.

As the grassy path soon came to an end and your boots clicked rapidly on the dark iced tarmac you felt achievement overwhelm you as finally civilisation had begun to reappear in front of you. Smiling at your ability to even be up so early in the morning especially in the grim circumstances you pulled your hands from their hiding spot and whistled for your dog to come bounding back to you; which he did quite quickly. You pat his hot soft fur and shivered from the warmth of it, "Good boy." you happily chirped and fed him his favourite treat, he barked in appreciation before bowing his head so you could hook his lead on.

'Wow, I'm such a good owner; he's so well behaved today...today...' You half laughed and sighed continuing your stroll that was now covered from the howling wind, as more and more buildings accumulated at the sides of you both. Trees hung sombre as the wind tore away the last of their golden autumn leaves, leaving them bare and unprotected from the harsh winter that was to come: as you had so been informed. News of a harsh, cold, bitter winter with snow flurries and possible travel disruptions had been reported and you weren't too happy, it meant cold morning walks with the dog and colder working conditions, you felt everything was colder in winter.

Once you had passed exactly thirty two houses, as you had counted the previous Saturday, you stopped at your front path, the small cobbled tiles led to a moderately large house where you lived unwantedly alone, 'but' you contradicted yourself, 'I do have Sam' you looked at your dog on the lead who was panting with his large flat tongue stuck out. You had named him Sam because you had always loved Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings, and he was your favourite character, a loyal and faithful friend to Frodo, and that's what you always relied on your dog to be for you.

When you were about to bend down and release your dog from his lead you noticed his ears prick up and his behaviour changed to protective, he began to bark loudly and your stomach knotted a little in worry. 'What is it boy?' you said bending down to his level and stroking his ears back, but they rapidly sprang up again and he barked, you tried to gain his attention, but Sam had other fixed intentions, so you let him off his lead. Soon enough he bounded rapidly over to the front door and scratched at the dark red wood, whimpering for you to allow him in. You cautiously walked up the path and did so, being alert yourself when you entered; it wasn't like Sam to behave so odd.

Sam quickly dashed through each of your rooms and bolted past you when he was content with his findings nearly knocking you off your feet, you laughed and steadied yourself on the table to your side, making sure to close and lock the door behind you before throwing the keys into the glass pot on top of the table. You walked into your kitchen humming quietly to yourself when you stopped dead in your tracks; you looked down at Sam who was perched timidly on the floor beneath your feet, then up to a man who was stood in front of you.

'Holy crap' you thought, you could have screamed but you just stood there in silence not knowing what to say, you didn't know what this man was capable of nor did you know what he was there for. 'Err come on ____ you've got to say something, pull yourself together!' you gave yourself a pep talk.

"What the hell are you doing in my kitchen? I'm calling the police, if you don't get out!" You said your voice a rush of panic.

The man who hadn't flinched from his stance looked at you confused, and not in the least scared which made you more worried for your safety, his voice was old-fashioned but kind and comforting to hear, "Well my dear, how do you propose I do that, you just locked the door?"