Chapter 49: Danny

Danny parked his car at his house. He stepped toward the house but turned to the left. He passed the shutter-covered windows and stepped over the dead leaves. The crunching would tell everyone where he was going.

He thought he was alone... but there was someone behind him. Keeping their distance and their red hoodie on, they had been to this house before. They watched Danny. He had to go. He couldn't keep digging.

Danny made his way into the woods and kept going. He passed over the dry creek with mud sticking to the bottom of his boots. RED was following behind, pivoting behind trees to make sure he couldn't turn and see them. It was like a ghost in the distance watching Danny, making sure every move was accounted for. Danny wasn't getting away.

Where are you going, Danny RED thought. Their breath was moving up in the cold air. Even though RED had a backpack full of weapons and tools to take Danny out, they were still scared. Their heart was beating. Faster. Faster. Almost out of their chest. Their breathing was heavy, but they were getting better at keeping it quiet.

"There," RED whispered. Their eyes followed Danny as he moved into the tiny cabin.

Danny pulled his blanket off the table to reveal all of his papers and sat his gun on the table. The red yarn connecting dots. Pictures of all of Genni's friends. Danny's own personal detective board was connecting what he could find. He wasn't getting too close to RED's identity, but little did he know... RED was already physically close.

"Who are you," Danny leaned into his desk. "I'm going to find you."

He felt it. Boiling. Heart beating. Tingling fingertips. He grabbed the gun from the table and sat in the corner in the chair. He leaned back and moved his finger closer to the trigger. He pointed it at the wall with Genni's friend's pictures.

Pop.

Danny looked over at the window. He heard something. Something hit the window.

"Was that a rock?" he said out loud.

Then... in the distance behind the tree... he saw it. That red hoodie. RED was standing right there. He tightened his grip on the gun and slung the door open. The cold hit him in the face but he didn't notice. He bolted down the wooden path and moved over to the left. The leaves were being kicked up and the sticks were crunching. He didn't care. He was running as fast as he could.

"You're mine!" he yelled. He stopped and pulled his gun out. He pointed it at the hoodie.

"Come out. Let me see you."

Nothing. The shoulder was sticking out from behind the tree.

"Say something! Who are you!?" he yelled.

It was so silent the leaves moving from the wind could be heard.

"Can't say a word, can you?" Danny pivoted around the tree and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit the red hoodie.

Poof.

The pillow inside the red hoodie nailed to the tree barely moved after the bullet went through the fabric.

"No!" the veins in his throat could be seen as he yelled.

He lunged forward after noticing a piece of paper around the nail. The red marker bled through the notebook paper.

"NOT THAT EASY"

He turned back around, looking at the cabin. He pulled the gun up, again. Ready to shoot.

"I've got you now," he said with what breath he could as he ran back to the cabin.

He stood in the doorway with the gun up. "Go ahead. Destroy all my evidence. Destroy my work. It doesn't matter because you're dead."

Danny squeezed the trigger three times.

BAM. BAM. BAM.

He bolted forward and slung open the door. He thought he would see splattered blood on the back wall of the tiny cabin. He thought RED was inside.

Nothing.

Danny slung his head around, looking through the windows. He was so angry that he didn't notice the clear liquid running over the window. He had stepped over it in the doorway, too.

"No, I've got you," RED yelled from outside the cabin.

RED ran the match over the box and sparked the end with a small flame. RED slung their arm forward and let go of the match.

The liquid at the doorframe, the gasoline, went up first. Then, the flames quickly moved over to the windows. Every exit to the tiny cabin was lit. Burning the gasoline... then the wood of the cabin.

RED pivoted away and let the cabin turn from wood to ash... with Danny inside.

***RED vs Danny has finally happened. What do you think about it?

If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.