Chapter 38: The Open Book

The hospital monitor above Evelyn's head beeped in tune with her heartbeat. The wires connected to her were intimidating, like a robot morphing to her body. She was awake, but she slept as much as she could. Her parents were in and out of the room, but Zach couldn't visit her as much. Kathrine was on her way back to Fayetteville. He knew Evelyn would be okay, and he wanted to be there with Kathrine when she arrived.

Knock. Knock.

Derrick's knuckles softly bounced on the glass door behind the tan curtain. Evelyn's mom looked up from her old, open book.

Derrick nodded and rose his hand, "Is it alright if I–"

Evelyn's mom propped up from the leather chair, "Yeah, I'll give you a minute." She closed the book but kept her finger on the page she was on, "Derrick, right?"

"Yes, ma'am," he smiled.

"I'll be in the hall," she said as she ducked behind the curtain.

He looked up at the machines above Evelyn's head. The blue and green lights seemed to be a good thing. She's alive, at least.

"Hey, Derrick," she slid her eyes open.

"I'm so sorry this happened, Ev," he leaned against the wall in front of her. He moved next to the whiteboard so he didn't erase anything.

"Hey! It could be worse," she tried to laugh.

"Yes, it could..." he looked at the floor.

"Your girl shot me, man!" she chuckled, holding her side.

"She's not my girl," he laughed. "I can't believe she shot you... what's happening to this town?"

"Yeah, I know. I'm trying to stay positive," she smiled.

"I don't know if I could say the same if I was shot," he pointed at her wound. "If anybody ever wants to shoot me, they better aim and get it done in one shot."

"You're a mess, boy," she joked again.

"Hey! I'm working on it," he leaned forward and tapped her footboard.

"...I've noticed ... I don't think you'd be here if you weren't."

He paused... "I am sorry, Evelyn."

"What is this? An apology tour?"

"You and your jokes," he chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"I saw you talking to Natalie in the parking lot. Is that why she shot me!?"

He rubbed his hands over his cheeks in embarrassment, "Man, I hope not."

"I'm just messing with you."

He paused and looked back at the floor, "I'm sorry, Evelyn. I really am."

"Come here," she opened her arms the best she could.

Derrick leaned in and gave her a warm hug in the cold hospital room.

"Now, go finish your apology tour!" She let go of him.

"Hush it," he joked as he made his way back out of the hospital room. He nodded at Evelyn's mom right outside the glass door. But, he couldn't help but notice that her finger didn't move from that spot in her book... She didn't read a word out there. She was just leaning at the opening in the door.

She stared and watched Derrick as he walked down the hall and turned the corner.

***Author questions: What was Evelyn's mom doing in the hall? Listening? Why was she watching Derrick as he left? Is Derrick's apology tour working? Do you think he is really changing as a person? Kathrine is coming back; how will this change things with Zach?

*If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.