Chapter 24: The Scene

"Please! I can't-- I don't know what to... help me!" Natalie yelled at the top of her lungs into the phone. She kept taking deep breaths between her yelling. Tears racing down her face.

"Ma'am, please calm down."

"No! I can't--" she started hyperventilating, "Please-- help-- me."

"Let me help you, ma'am please calm down. What is your address?"

Her voice was shaking in sync with her hands as she told her the address. She sat in her car, screaming at the phone, too scared to get out. She could see his body just on the ground. Damp in his own blood. Lifeless.

"Ma'am, we're coming. Are you safe?"

Natalie's eyes shot open. She looked down the driveway and around her car. "I think so..." she said between her tears.

"Can you stay on the phone with me?"

Then it hit her... the gun. It was still sitting under her bed. She hung up the phone and dropped it into a cup holder. She stared out the window towards the front porch.

"I have to get it," she whispered.

She tied her hair up with the hair band around her wrist. She popped the door open and ran towards the bloody scene. She passed Jasper's car as she ran towards his body. She didn't look down as she jumped over him, avoiding all the blood along the way. She went around the steps and climbed up on the porch to miss the blood on the steps. She went to her window that she knew was unlocked, and propped it open.

She ducked her head and slipped into the heated inside of the house. She dropped to her hands and knees and hurried for the gun under her bed. She reached across the carpet, cheek on the floor, to reach it. She grasped it in her hand and pulled it out. She ran back to her car the same way she came, but this time she looked down. She almost vomited just looking at him. Eyes open, mouth open, blood everywhere. He just told her he loved her... and now he's dead. He's gone. Just like Genni...

She clenched on tighter to the gun, not willing to let go. She scuffled for her car, still trying to avoid any blood from getting on her or her shoes. She didn't need her footprints in the slaying...

She flopped into the driver seat and locked the door. She stared back at Jasper, then looked around the dark outside of the car. She kept checking to make sure the car was locked... and that the gun was loaded.

She looked down the driveway anxiously waiting for the cops to arrive.

*Author question: Do you think Natalie ran for the gun for safety... or to hide it? Comment your thoughts! Also, if you liked this chapter, hit the star to vote. This would really help me out. Thanks!