Chapter 5: Derrick

Derrick's eyes shot open. Deer in the headlights. His girlfriend, Natalie was sitting next to him, and the girl he cheated on her with was walking through the door. He thought Kathrine didn't know anything about Natalie, and he was scared it was about to get ugly. The truth is: Kathrine knew he was cheating. Kathrine wasn't going to freak out. Was she expecting to see Derrick tonight? No. But she knew how to keep her cool.

"This is Kathrine, guys! She's a great girl," Evelyn told everyone even though she didn't really know her.

Derrick was squirming in the loveseat. Natalie was starting to notice his hands were getting sweaty.

"Hey, Kathrine! I'm Jasper!" he jumped up and leaned in to hug her. He usually didn't hug like that, but he had heard that Kathrine was with Genni before she went missing... Well, everyone had heard that.

"This is Derrick and Natalie. They're dating... obviously," Evelyn laughed.

Kathrine rose her eyebrows, "Derrick, you look familiar... do I know you from somewhere?"

Natalie turned to look at Derrick for his response. He may have the looks, but he couldn't think on his feet. He never planned for this. He didn't think his girlfriend and his side-chick would run into each other like this. Especially with him in the room. Natalie let go of his sweaty hands and rubbed hers on the soft fabric of the loveseat.

Jasper was the only person in the room catching on. He never liked Derrick, after all, Natalie was his best friend and Derrick would always get in the middle of it. He grabbed his drink from the end table and spun his straw around in the ice as he waited on Derrick to respond.

"No, I don't think so," he finally responded. His face was starting to blush.

"Um. Weird," Kathrine said as she spun around and sat next to Zach.

Zach was scratching his beard trying to think of a way to kill the tension, "so... you guys wanna watch a movie? Play a game?"

"Yas, let's play a game!" Natalie said as she got up from beside Derrick.

"Okay, I'll go get the games," Zach said, jumping up from his seat.

"I'll help," Derrick said as he hustled off the couch. Zach looked back, knowing Derrick needed to talk to him about something. They turned the corner into the side game room, and Derrick grabbed Zach to talk to him as if Zach didn't already know.

"Dude!"

"What is going on in there? Do you know her?"

"What is she doing here?"

"Kathrine is nice! She probably needs some friends right now. She's new here and one of her friends is missing and she-"

Derrick interrupted him, "Who cares?!"

Zach stepped back from Derrick, "Derrick, man, I love you but what is your problem?"

"Nothing."

Zach waited a few seconds. He knew he would spill momentarily.

"I cheated on Natalie with her."

"You did what?!"

"We made out, and I took her out on a date. I thought she would give it up but she didn't."

Zach turned around to grab a few games, "you've got to be kidding me..."

"No, I'm not. And Kathrine didn't know about Natalie, but I guess now she does."

"I'm not fixing this for you. Just get in there and have fun."

"Zach, what's wrong with you? We've been like brothers forever and now you're just gonna let this happen?"

"Yeah, we're brothers, but this isn't cool, and I'm not gonna let this stress me out. Can we just have a good time?" Zach walked back out into the living room.

"Where'd Derrick go?" Natalie laughed.

"Uh, bathroom?" Zach said as he put the games on the wooden coffee table in the center of the room.

***If you liked this chapter, please hit the star! This would really help me out. Thanks!

 Thanks!