𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

"You know, maybe you should just ask me because Damon doesn't really do sensible-advice." Evelyn shrugged, then grabbed hold of a red lipstick and began to go over her lips in the mirror.

"Oh, this sounds promising," Damon smirked as he turned around with his eyebrows raised.

"What did I just say?" Stefan sighed, just as Damon gestured him to continue. "Alright, look. Something happened between Caroline and me."

"Oh! Finally." Damon grinned and rubbed his hands together with a smirk, just as Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"Ignore him. Just carry on."

"And then her mom died, and I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it, and I don't know the best way to handle it."

"Oh." Damon dully spoke with a shrug. "Pull the ripcord."

As the unexpected response fell from Damon's lips without a minute of hesitation, both Stefan and Evelyn's eyes widened. "What?"

"Well, she's not the one. If she was, you wouldn't have to ask. You've been in love twice in your life, Stefan. Setting aside that it was technically the same face, does that feel like this?" Damon asked, but Stefan remained silent. "Not all love is true, brother. Caroline wants the real deal, and if you don't, pull the ripcord before you make things worse. Just not today. Let her have today." Damon advised just before he kissed Evelyn's forehead, then wandered out of his room.

"Ignore him. It's the whole funeral thing, I think it's taking it's toll on him more than he'll ever let on, to be honest." An irritated grunt left Evelyn's lips just as she set her lipstick down on the counter, then turned to the Salvatore. "You want my advice?"

A heavy sigh left Stefan's lips while a pleading look reflected in his eyes once he glanced at Evelyn. "Please."

"If you truly like Caroline, then pursue it. If you don't, then you need to set the record straight because I think she's felt like this for a while, Stefan. But, that being said, Caroline is one of my best friends, and I would like nothing more than for that girl to be happy. Even more so now." Evelyn let a heavy sigh escape her lips. "But, whatever you decide to do, just be sure. But, let her have today for her Mom, okay?"

"Thank you, Eve." Stefan thankfully smiled toward the brunette vampire, who nodded.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"We are here today to pay our tribute and our respect to a pillar of our community. Our sister. Our protector; Sheriff Elizabeth Forbes. We are also here today to show our love and support for Liz's family and friends." The Pastor leading Liz's send-off gestured to her friends and family that were seated in the front rows of the church. "Not only have we sensed our own personal feelings of loss over her passing, but our hearts are drawn to our faith."

One by one, the deputies that were dotted around the rows, all stood up to their feet and headed over to the casket. They hung a large American flag just over the top of Liz's casket, then nodded proudly. "Calling Sheriff Forbes. This is the last call for Sheriff Forbes." One deputy spoke into his radio."No response. Radio number 2-6 is out of service after twelve years and four months of police service. Gone, but never forgotten. Center!"

The deputies eventually all returned to their seats, and it was time for Damon to finally give the eulogy that Liz had asked to him do. Evelyn knew how important it was that Damon got it right, considering he had been losing sleep over it ever since Liz's death. Once he reached the podium and took a deep breath, Evelyn smiled supportively toward him.

"Liz Forbes was my friend. In her last moments, she asked me to pass along a message to her daughter, but I cut her off before she could say too much. I told her she could tell Caroline herself, but she didn't get that chance." The Salvatore's eyes were firmly placed on Caroline, who grabbed hold of Evelyn's hand for support. "Your mom wanted you to know how proud of you she was, and she should be. You're a beautiful, strong woman, a generous friend, and a bright light in a sea of dark. She said you were extraordinary, and you are, and so was she. Liz was a hero to this town. She was a hero to all of you. And she was a hero to me." With one final glance, he looked at Liz's casket. "Goodbye, Sheriff. You will be missed."