𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

"No. I'm a terrible sheriff because one of my best friends is the perp in half my open cases." She chuckled until he offered her some of the bottle. "Not until I finish this."

Damon shrugged nonchalantly before taking a sip and then offering some to Evelyn who stood next to him with a grin on her face. Liz watched the couple interact with a smile on her face, she enjoyed seeing that Damon was finally happy.

"Wait, so the night that Elena's parent's car went off the road, you were in Mystic Falls?" Evelyn asked after she took a swig of the whisky, then handed it back to Damon. "Stefan, too?"

"So you both just happened to be in town the night her parents died." The Sheriff pointed out with a suspicious look. "Why?"

Damon shifted awkwardly "Well, believe it or not, I once had a Mommy, too. She died around that day. In the years that my emotions were on, I would stop by, and leave flowers at her grave."

"Oh." The brunette vampire let out a heavy sigh as she hugged him from the side, and rested her head on his shoulder. "Oh, Damon. I'm so sorry."

"You never talk about her." Liz frowned with a look of confusion on her face.

"Not much to say. She died, old-timey disease: Consumption." Damon shrugged, then placed a gentle kiss on the top of Evelyn's head.

"Why do I feel like you're leaving something out?" The Sheriff questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Tell you, what? Why don't we use your investigative instincts to solve this?" Damon questioned with a small smile and pointed her attention toward the Gilbert file. "Come here. Check this out, alright? So, why were the Gilbert's taking Wickery Bridge when Old Miller Road was clearly ten minutes faster? And, why are there no skid marks at the scene of the accident? And, why was the trunk full of luggage as if they were going out of town?"

"Have you spent some time working as a detective or something? Where'd you get all of that from." Evelyn impressively chuckled.

"There's a lot you have yet to learn about me, Eve." Damon nodded with a smirk, just as he dialed Elena's number.

"What, Damon? I'm bonding with my brother." The doppelganger answered with an irritated tone of voice.

"I want to run something by you. Is there a chance you can get to the Sheriff's office?" The Salvatore questioned curiously down the phone as Evelyn began to flick through the files again.

"I'm not so sure it's a good idea to be around the Sheriff right now. Jeremy and I smoked your going-away present."

Damon paused with eyes wide. "Are you stoned?"

"No." Elena chuckled softly. "I'm lightly buzzed."

"Okay. Well, you need some eye drops, a squirt of perfume, and half a pizza. This is important."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Honestly, I don't remember why we took that route home, and I had no idea that there was luggage in the trunk." Elena trailed off after Liz explained the fact that the Gilbert's death was still an open case, and there were a lot of unanswered questions.

"What about the skid marks? Any reason your dad would just drive off the road like he was trying to avoid something without braking?" Liz looked at the vampire.

"I was texting with Bonnie when it happened. Embarrassing, I know."

"It's kinda bizarre this if I'm honest," Evelyn muttered while the doppelganger nodded in agreement. "So, what about the voicemail your Mom left Liz?"