I thought you'd never ask

Start from the beginning

Take Lukas for instance. My biggest mistake was letting him go. Six years ago, when our love reached such a steep mountain to climb, I let go of him, I ... gave up. I couldn't have made a worse mistake. Yes, he's fucked up, big time, but even before that, we've both screwed up. I realize now I've been so terribly far from being the perfect wife I thought I was. I pinned it all on him, but I was just as wrong. Now lying here in this bed, after one of the best nights of our lives, I see what I was missing.

"It's the biggest smile I've ever seen on your face." Lukas mentioned, coming just a tad bit closer, enough to take me back in his arms. "I ... I've looked at it every time I missed you these past years." He kissed my temple. "Every time I felt lonely, I looked at this photo, and I reminded myself ours has always been the most absolute, the most perfect love, and despite everything, there was nothing that could take away the memories we shared."

I cracked a small smile as I snuggled into him, tablet in hand. "We've been through a lot, huh?"

"More than any couple could endure, I'm pretty sure."

I chuckled. "A little smug, aren't we?"

Lukas kissed my temple once more as he entangled our fingers. "First all the shit I put you through, then the hatred and the revenge, the baby drama, and last but not least, the worst scare of my life ... losing you for good. It's safe to say, Romeo and Juliet who?"

I laughed, kissing his chest. "Well, we're here now." I glanced back at the tablet, this time at the three icons hiding Word files. "Ready?"

Lukas bit his lips. "We're all good, right?"

I rolled my eyes, half chuckling. "Don't be such a wuss, Bennet."

"How can I not? There are things in there ... the moment you read them you're gonna want to kill me, wanna bet?"

I shrugged. "After all we've been through, nothing scares me." I pecked his lips, cupping his cheek. "We're here. This time forever."

Lukas smiled. "You've never been so ... explicit."

"Well, you know, the risk of dying kinda makes you realize what you were losing ..."

On cue, he squeezed me into him, nearly cracking the tablet I had in my hand. "I'll never let you go again. Never ever."

"Lukas ..."

"Never. No matter what you say. No matter how much you drive me nuts. I'll never leave you again. And I'm serious. I'm ready to become a pro-stalker if that means never having you out of sight."

"Lukas ..."

"I'm serious."

"I know ... but you're kinda crushing my ribs here ..."

"What? Oh!" He pulled back, finally. "Sorry!"

I laughed, kissing his lips. "At this rate I'll lose a few limbs by the time I get old ..."

He gave me a dirty look. "Don't you even joke like that."

"Come on ... I just found out I'm not dying, I'm allowed to joke about it." I poked his cheek, trying to make him smile, but he was dead serious.

I yelped when he abruptly grabbed my arm and pulled me into him, this time squeezing me for real. "It was a nightmare. Thinking I'd lose you ... it's no joke for me."

"Lukas ..."

He cupped my cheeks, kissing me passionately. "I've made up my mind." He claimed, his voice gaining a bit of rhythm, as if he were sort of ... singing. The words confirmed it: "Wherever we're standing, I won't take you for granted, because we'll never know when we'll run out of time. So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you." Oh, gosh ... "I'll kiss you longer, baby, any chance that I get. I'll make the most of the minutes and love with no regrets."