History repeats itself

CHAPTER 34 - HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF

TARA'S POV

"You shouldn't be up." Was the first thing he grumbled as soon as I entered the room.

I half smiled, letting myself in anyways. "It was nothing. Just ... side effects of the sleeping pills I took last night, nothing to worry about."

Lukas half turned on his side with a sigh. The plaster on his leg didn't allow him to turn properly. "Do me a favor, don't pretend you're talking to your ex husband the dumb screw-up. Dr. Bennet the oncologist knows exactly how these things work."

"Lukas ..." I started, going to sit beside him. I took a deep breath, feeling quite better after this morning's little scare. It was really nothing, just side effects of the sleeping pills, but ... you see, coincidentally enough some of those are symptoms that can relate to breast cancer. Lukas couldn't know I took sleeping pills, of course he immediately thought of the worst. Apparently, judging by what Nicky told me, my gynecologist's sister spilled the beans.

I could sue her ass for breaching confidentiality, but I've got bigger issues to deal with. Like ... the fact that I have only 7 months left to live and the man of my life is retreating back into his cocoon, refusing to talk about it or accept it.

"I got 2 weeks with her." Lukas drawled out, his voice sounding despaired. "Two weeks before my mom and I made plans for my future, ate muffins, cooked together ... two weeks later I buried her. Now I gotta do the same to my wife. If that's not fucked up, I don't know what is."

"Lukas ... I have 7 months, it's going to be fine."

"As if that makes it any different."

"It does ..." I reached for his hand. "We've got more time. We'll make these 7 months count."

He brusquely turned to me. "Yeah? And then what? I just stay here without you?"

"Lukas ..."

"Ugh, don't Lukas me. She did the exact same."

"Whatever your mom did, it was to try to make you feel better."

"She gave up. And so have you."

"I haven't. I-"

"Oh, please, you're here talking about making months count, as if you've already accepted the sentence."

"Well, you're the doctor here, you should know there's nothing left to do when it's terminal."

"Exactly! I'm the doctor here, yet I can't save my own wife!" The tears in his blue eyes stung my heart. He sat up brusquely, nearly tearing down everything. "I've worked my butt off to prevent this. I've sacrificed everything, everything! Including my daughter's precious first milestones. Only to be able to save other women. I sacrificed everything to save other women because I couldn't save my mom, and now here I am, powerless in the face of death again!"

"Lukas ..."

"Yeah, yeah, Lukas, you gotta accept it, come to terms with it. Lukas, it's going to be fine. Lukas, be a grown boy. I've heard that before."

***

30 years ago

"Am I doing it right?" The 13-years-old boy asked, hopeful, as he showed a pot full of a dark brown mixture.

The blonde woman beside him offered him a sweet smile as she nodded. "Yes, honey. It's starting to thicken, so just a couple of minutes more, then you'll have to pick up a faster pace, okay?" She reached out for the stove and lowered the temperature.